Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front lower ball joint ... the same as upper one?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Monday 6th Oct, 2014.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    My front left lower ball joint has snapped and getting a replacement from euro car parts. The only list one type for front. Are these the same as upper ones? I know genuine upper wishbone comes with ball joint, but mine's been replaced now anyway with an after market one and ball joint came separately.

Is this the right part? Can't really find that information on lings honda.

Q-Drive Honda | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    When I replaced mine in May this year, I think they were around 20 quid each from Honda. I can't seem to open your link, doesnt take me to Euro Car Parts.

Why not call HH and ask them.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt it mate the Honda spares don't come separate ball joints, only the entire assembly. I know the motor factors have generic one available.

We don't have many taxi drivers here who used to bodge and Harper their Accords they will be ones to know..

B__2700.

4. Nighthawk Guest

Just spoken to gareth from HH. New lower ball joint is 49.50 with our club discount.

He said in some cars its the entire knuckle which needs replacing but on the cdti, you can change just the ball joint. I can't find my receipt for the part number when i did mine:Frown:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good thing to know.:Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers guys. I rung HH before posting this but they could deliver Wednesday earliest and I need it fixed today so had to go for Euro Car Parts. Wasn't aware at that moment that it seems to be the same part for upper and lower ball joint.

I was really lucky as I was driving into my garage to inspect the noise coming from the left suspension to see what it was, and it has snapped at 1mph. The following day I would have been on M5 so I don't want to even think how dangerous it could have been. Honda safety feature :Smile:

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Guys, what is B21, and how do I find it on lingshonda? Is it 36mm axle nut?

B__2200.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's probably a reference in the printed parts catalogue.

Look for "Honda Parts Block: FRONT DRIVESHAFT/ HALF SHAFT" page for your car on Lings site.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob what happening on this matey?

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Didn't go well. Bought the ball joint from EuroCarParts and we've replaced it. However, it took us an hour to get the old one out and the new one in. Before we've started I had checked with a small garage next door if he would press it out and in for me when I'm ready. He was happy to do so for a small fee. Once the knuckle was out I took it to the garage, but the **** said he's too busy and to come in 2 days time. I was fuming. I couldn't leave the car like that for 2 days behind the garages. The rental car I had (Skoda Fabia :brickwall:) has been returned and I needed to drive the next morning.

So using some sophisticated tools (steel frame, gas torch, metal block and massive hammer) we managed to push the old one out. New one from the fridge went in but again, took us an hour. So the car is fixed but after 215k the suspension on a whole feels rough. Clutch isn't slipping but if I hold it pressed for few seconds next time it bites is right at bottom. VSA is on (possibly module :Whiteflag:). I mean, I know your opinion about diesels :Wink: but this still has served me well over almost 6 years with two major failures including the cracked ball joint. Can't believe the clutch is still going after 150k on remap.

But I think it's time for a new car. So I am looking but want to wait at least 6-12 months (I've had to move closer to town for a year and parking here is crap). Not sure if it can make it though :/ The old lady is tired now :/ Can't fault her, but it's time to let her rest ...

Don't want Civic, too early for a CR-V. Accord is still my choice. Are the 8th gens worth it? I was looking 2 days ago at other brands and nothing out there, well maybe the new Lexus ls300h.

11. Nighthawk Guest

215k? Thats a fair old mileage - she has served you well, I agree, let her go to rest in peace with some diginity left in her. :Violin:

I must say, I am slowly warming to the 8th Generation Accords, but mainly the facelift versions