Suspension, Steering and Brakes Front Passenger Upper Control Arm

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Monday 15th Feb, 2016.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one, did an oil service over the weekend and did the usual checks around the car.
    During the checks i found that there was alittle bit of play on the passenger upper control arm. It would seem the ball link joint requires replacing.

It doesn't knock at the moment so assume the wear is early days.

See video

Im looking at replacing it with genuine parts as i heard most aftermarket stuff, i.e. OCAP form euro carparts and ebay don't last very long.
    or if anyone has any experiences with third party parts which would they recommend?

I assume once the suspension assembly is dropped from the 5 bolts on the top the 2 bolts from the upper control arm bolts are easily accessible?
    Is the job pretty easy to do?

Is the front passenger side upper control arm classed as LEFT?
    i.e, is the side determined by sitting in the car or looking at the car from the front?

Do i order the left or right side?
    51450SECA01 ARM COMP., R. FR. UPPER
    51460SECA01 ARM COMP., L. FR. UPPER

Thanks all

Last edited: Monday 15th Feb, 2016
  2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Its the left as you sit in the car. I replaced both of mine from honda a couple of years ago. Easy enough job but had to drop the shock to get the upper control arm bolts clear of the chassis.

Takes longer to drop the strut assembly than actually changing the UCA

3. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks Nighthawk.
    When you mean drop the strut assembly, do you mean the complete damper upper and lower connections?
    Would it be ok just to replace the left control arm and not both as a pair?

4. Nighthawk Guest

Yes mate, you can only replace the damaged part if you want. My OCD wouldn't allow me to do it, in my head, both sides have done just the same amount of work, so if ones gone, the other can't be too far behind it.

I changed mine when I did my LCA bushes so I had dropped the strut anyway to take the arm off. I changed the entire front suspension, bar the drop links, in one shot, one weekend. You should be able to loosen the strut from the top, and pull it down on the LCA, clearing the top of the strut tower of the chassis. The LCA does drop quite a bit but to be honest, not sure if it will drop enough to clear the strut nut threads from the strut tower

5. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    I changed both on mine a few months back...
    Got mine from local motorfactors, they were blueprint ones and around £80 each.. been well so far.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers guys
    Sounds like the job should be pretty straight forward to do.
    Will be buying OEM stuff.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    a fine choice
    i think you will find that japanese manufacturers use blueprint parts on the production line the parts are out sourced to the company
    I've used blue print parts for many years and they are of the finest quality and also can save you a lot of money !!
    most of the blueprint clutch kits I've had for my old hondas are just reboxed genuine honda parts with all honda,s parts no,s and logo,s
    there is nothing wrong with aftermarket parts just research the brands and you will be suprised where some of them are affiliated too !!

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

9. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    looks like a huge saving to me :happycrying:
    as i said I've used blue print for many years without issue and hasten to add new and old alike
    I've nver been suckered into buying name brands with a little research you can find equally good alternatives
    its like buying a pair of levi,s or should i say the little leather badge on the back, down my market i can buy for the same money three pairs of equally good looking jeans that last three times longer (and thats each !!!! )

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    absolutely bang on... my laziness, for not browsing online, has once again costed me:Sobbing:

11. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks all

Are Lemforder andy good? I think its a german manufacturer? Not really heard of them but i have read some forums that they are mainly used on european cars

Or would you say blueprint is the safer bet?

12. Nighthawk Guest

Lemforder over blueprint personally but I only say that as the blueprint CMC I used failed catastrophically so i lost my trust in BP. My tie rod ends are lemforders as are my drop links. Not a peep of a hint of trouble at all so far.

13. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    thats interesting but not unusal the same problem has arisen like lhis with other manufacturers mainly on modern cars and we have come across this on quite a regular basis and the failiure has been atributed to several other factors and components on certain cars a vans there is a set sequence in bleeding some of the newer hydraulic systems and other older component also failing

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks guys.
    Will have a ponder