Pre-Facelift Model Front speakers Premium sound system not working

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rinesh, Saturday 7th Feb, 2015.

1. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,
    Today my front speakers have stopped working. Back door and shelf speakers are working fine. As far as i know there should be an amp under the dvd unit? Could the amp be the problem or should i be looking somewhere else? I have the PSS with Sat Nav

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    are they standard speakers? to be honest I can't think as to where the amp is other than its a part of the sat nav/audio unit? I could be wrong but I haven't come across this problem before. have you searched the forum?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I also think they are part of the head unit (behind the sat nav screen).

It'll be worth just taking the Sat Nav screen out and verifying all the connections are seated (there should be guides on the site for removing this).

The other thing worth checking is if the front speakers have been previously changed for aftermarket ones. If they have, it could that they chose the wrong impedance speakers and this has caused an issue with the amp in the head unit.

4. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Far as i know there is an external amp. Located under the dvd drive, just in front of the gear selector mechanism. Since both front speakers and tweeters stopped working, i thought this should be the culprit.
    Yes there are after market speakers, but impedance is 4 ohm, so that should not be causing the problem.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    there is an amplifier behind the gear stick. it should have two connectors. it is the go-between, the audio unit and speakers. I would swap one of the rear speakers first and then check you have continuity between the audio unit and speakers. there is a chance that the uprated speakers have blown something but just replacing the amplifier you may be disappointed when its your audio unit that's blown or even a wire fault. come to think about it, have you checked the speakers since you fitted them?. I assume you cut off the standard wire loom connectors to fit them. how are they connected? spade connectors? soldered?

6. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Speakers were replaced by a friend who really is into car audio stuff (competition etc). He used spade connectors, but good quality one. Remarkable that both front stopped at the same time, thats why i was thinking the amp. Long time ago i read somewhere that someone had the same problem and by replacing amp , the problem solved.
    Also normally you get a beep when changing fader balance etc. Even that is gone. So im thinking if the beep only came from the front speakers or were they supposed to come from all the speakers?
    - - - Updated - - -

Apparently this is the amp

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    that is the amp yes, but being used you can't guarantee its in working order. is it just the fronts that are aftermarket? this is the problem with fitting uprated speakers without a separate dedicated amp. if you want an uprated sound system you need to have a re-think. Honda designed there premium audio within certain limits. without re-designing your audio set up I fear you may keep blowing things. check you have resistance within the front speakers to make sure there not blown.

8. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As fas as i know al lot of people (on the forum) have changed their speakers. My shelf speakers are also after market. They have been replaced well over a year.
    I think checking resistance is the good first thing to check

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i don't mean to sound all negative, theres no agenda. its the typical problem when someone has a problem and tries to get a diagnosis over the forum. without looking at your car all I can summise is it maybe something to do with the aftermarket parts added to your car. once you have ruled out the speakers themselves you can go from there.

10. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Beefy: No prob man. Your trying to help. I must say in addition, reason i replaces the speaker is because one of the front did not work occasionally. So i got them replaced. Also don't know if it is normal, but my front were not playing that hard. don't know if it had anything to do with it... Even friends sitting in my car sometimes mentioned that the fronts are like doing nothing in comparison to the back speakers..

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    hope you get to the bottom of it soon bud.

12. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bump
    Front speakers have stopped working. Back door and shelf speakers are working fine. Could the amp be the problem or should i be looking somewhere else? I have the PSS with Sat Nav. Anyone who had a similar problem?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Anyone got an ideas on this issue ?

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Sounds like the amplifier to me, if the original speakers were iffy, and now aftermarket ones are not working at all it's the logical assumption if the connections have all been done properly.

15. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You will have to start somewhere. If you can get one cheep then try an amp but I suggest you fit an aftermarket amp in the boot perhapse and have all your aftermarket speakers running through this and a phono from the audio unit to that amp. How you fit a phono connection to the standard audio is beyond my expertise but this is the only way to maximise your install and stop blowing standard equipment.

16. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

aftermarket amp would be great (maybe on the stock amp location, underneath headunit). Only thing i don't have wiring diagrams etc so do not even know if that would be possible. Aftermarket amp in boot seems like an expensive option due to new wiring etc.
    For around 50 pound i can get a used stock amp. So that seems like the cheapest option.
    Honda Accord amplifier, 39186-SEA-0131 (MOD2593E) | eBay

So im thinking about trying this..

17. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Yes it may work re-fitting another stock amp but for how long? The speakers you have fitted are drawing more wattage than a standard amp can handle. And I very much doubt you can get an aftermarket amp to fit in that space. For the price get that amp and see how you go. But if you plan to keep the speaker set up as is, I would save up and do the job properly. Only then will you stop blowing stock items and get a decent sound. With the stock stereo you are never going to get the full potential out of upgraded speakers. It can only play to the output of the standard amp. I don't mean to be negative but you will keep having problems untill you have a properly set up system.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If the impedance of the new speakers is lower than the stock speakers you're going to be drawing more power on those specific lines. For example if OEM is 4 Ohm speakers and let's say they're at a volume which delivers 24 Watts, that same volume on 2 Ohm speakers would be 48 watts. What's that going to do? Force the amplifier to put out more current than it's designed to on those lines, things are going to overheat, caps may pop or whatever, this is my running theory as to what's happened.

car-speaker-impedance-diagram.

You need to match the impedance of the amp to the speaker.

19. rinesh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Leo: Totally agree with you. I took that into consideration when upgrading the speakers. So I only used 4 ohm speakers, because that's what the stock amp delivers.
    @Adam: I don't totally agree. The speakers can handle more wattage. But they simply don't get it form stock amp. Even with the stock speakers, the amp has this protection that above volume 30 or so the DB level does not rise. It stays at the same volume. Also think about an aftermarket head-unit which delivers 4x17W RMS. When using speakers which can handle 50W RMS, the headunit does not blow up. In most of the cases they start to distort from a certain volume. Something that does not happen with the honda premium sound, because of the protection in the stock amp. But that is my opinion...

Duggers likes this.
  20. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    In my second Accord I lost sound to the right, garage couldn't find the fault so I traced all the cables and found two crushed cables. They were damaged when they installed the CD multi-changer.

Duggers likes this.