General Front suspension issue

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JamesS, Tuesday 7th Oct, 2014.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Right, calling on your knowledge already! I was going to fit my new coilovers the other day, and when I got the front wheel off to start, i was faced with the wishbone connected to the front shock that holds it onto the lower arm avoiding the drive shaft.

Well first bolt I tried to undo was the one holding the shock in place, and soaked it in WD40, and got a wrench on it, and snap. The head comes straight off. Honestly do Honda make their bolts out of chocolate! So ordered a replacement unit off ebay, could only find one attached to a shock. But it was cheap so don't really mind. Soaked that in WD40 all week, and tried it again. Snap! Another one busted.

So am I missing something? Honda want 80quid for a new part, and I don't really want to pay for a new part. Anybody else had this issue?

James

2. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Honda suspension bolts often snap had it happen on my ek4. Bought new bolts when fitting lower control arms

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did you gun the wrong side ? I can't remember on the Accord but on Civics the bolt is not round is splined to stop it spinning, you need to undo the nut not the bolt.

Are you talking about item 19 in this picture ?

B__2710.

As you can see from this picture there is a spline on the bolt that stops the bolt turning.

4. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    No sorry item 16. :Smile:

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Looks like a normal bolt to me.

I'd have got some heat in there first followed by first tightening the bolt slightly and finally undoing a bit at a time.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Number 16 is a normal bolt yes.

7. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Might have to try get one of those little gas canisters. All work I do is carried out on the mother-in-laws drive way.

8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I've got a map gas one like plumbers use and is brilliant for these kinds of jobs

9. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Great stuff, will give it a try!

10. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Also WD40 is rubbish at penetrating and freeing rusted bolts IMHO, I prefer plus gas, but a bit of fire works a treat if that fails.

11. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Cool, will get a can on order for the weekend, along with a gas bottle. :Smile: Thanks guys!

12. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Old Man swears by diesel for the same job as plus gas. I mainly ran my warrior on veg oil so can't comment lol

JamesS likes this.