Off-Topic Frozen beer

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Phil1978, Tuesday 7th Oct, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Has this ever happened to anyone else here, I put two bottles of lager in the freezer to get them cold a bit quick, but left them longer than I normally would, I opened the freezer and found one completely frozen and the other still liquid, so I took them both out, opened the liquid one and it instantly froze, spooky.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ah that'll do with the amount of pressure inside the can. So the one can didn't quite have the same amount of pressure inside as the other one did, so it froze.

The other one didn't freeze due to the pressure inside but once you released the pressure it froze.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slushy beer my favourite,if it's any consolation when I do this and forget the bottle burst. :Frown:

Not to mention second degree burns on my ears from Helen and hours of cleaning the freezer :Nuts:

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  4. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Heineken will close a gap in the market ... :beer

das-bier-eis.

DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If I recall A Level Physics correctly this is known as Adiabatic Cooling. Opening the bottle caused a decrease in pressure allowing expansion and an increase in volume causing a decrease in temperature.

The same process occurs in reverse in a diesel engine and also this is why the hose on a foot pump gets warm when you blow your tyres up.

Spot the engineer! :lol:

Nels, DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :king:Shamone check him out .

John Dickson likes this.