Facelift Model Fuel additives

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bugsy, Thursday 29th Oct, 2015.

?

Fuel additives

1. Like

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Dislike

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Anny Accrington
    Hi everyone has anybody here ever tried ARCHOIL 6400D in there 2.2.2ctdi you add it to your fuel like redex it surpose to clean your injectors and all fuel system EGR etc have read great reviews about them it's a American based company and Jay Leno had them on his show praising the products! iv just purchased a bottle from eBay for a reasonable £19.99 and put it in my FR-V 2.2ctdi so just waiting to see if there is any change fingers crossed

kes likes this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Why would the injectors need cleaning? How would it be able to clean the EGR valve after being combusted? As you can tell, I'm a bit sceptical!

BG244 is another cleaning additive widely recommended for diesels, which I have used. I noticed a small improvement but only while it was still in the tank, suggesting that there was no cleaning benefit. It has a lot of cetane booster in it which, in my opinion, accounted for the temporary improvement.

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zebster likes this.
  4. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've never used that product but used diesel purge. A better way of using these injector cleaners is to cap fuel lines and run the engine off the cleaner only. That way the cleaner is being used to its maximum effect rather being put in the tank and mixed with diesel. Definitely the cleaning of EGR seems far fetched.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'd worry about lubrication of the fuel pump and injectors, if not running from EN590 diesel.

I still don't get why injectors need cleaning! Surely the blasts of fuel at 24,000 PSI keep them clear of anything other than diesel fuel?

SpeedyGee and kes like this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid:

7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

2 stroke oil gets used a lot by diesel owners...is that a waste as well??

kes likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It is a 4 stroke engine after all!

9. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh yeah two stroke, forgot about that. How about misting water into inlet too.

10. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm sure Ed China said good things about water in the inlet.

You can't beat an Italian tune up on the mororway IMO. Too many of us doing small trips in diesels which is the real issue

11. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Different strokes for different folks I guess :Grin:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Different folks need different strokes..

Unknown.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    If you are going to go with such a product make sure it's TUV approved, but specifically get one which has an emulsifying effect. I've mentioned one in the past but I can't remember the name of it but if you search my posts it should come up along with a link/screenshot - it was trade only though so may be a little tricky to get unless you have the ability to source trade only stuff. I've used the stuff in my MPS to help sort out a possible water in the fuel tank problem, I also used it in our Yaris to sort out hesitating acceleration. We use the stuff monthly in our fleet of HGVs because we use our own fuel storage tanks and also don't know just how good (or bad) our delivered fuel is and they never have any fuel system issues.

Reason you want the emulsifying effect is because of the sand and water that can develop in the fuel tank and upset things such as the fuel filter etc. We know where fuel originally comes from and over time the tiny amounts of silt can build up inside the tank. Water being present is most commonly due to ingress at the bottom of the fuel station tanks underground where they may have become damaged over time. This is why it's wise to use a busy petrol station where the tanks for regularly filled rather than a quiet one where the tanks may be allowed to run all the way down.

The emulsifying effect will allow this sand and water to pass through the system and be burnt off. My uncle who is now retired was the head technician at Volvo and he told me of regularly removing fuel tanks from Volvos to find sand inside. I overhead GSR Services in Beith talking about the water aspect with a customer and advising them not to use the local petrol station they were using because they let the tanks run down. Makes sense.

I remember filling up my MPS at a BP in East Kilbride which I'd never used before, it's a fairly busy one but I remember seeing the tanker just arriving. My car ran like crap for a good few weeks afterwards, I think I was unlucky and hit a near empty tank.

It don't think it's a magical overnight fix though and suspect it could take quite a few tank fulls to clear up, if that is in fact the problem.

jimjams likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Two stroke oil in the fuel leaves harmful zinc deposits on the injectors.

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I have used them in the past, I used the Tunap as used and sold by Honda. But another way of looking at it is if you pay the extra £5 for filling up a tank full with V Power+ or BP Ultimate, your are getting the better burn and cleaning agents every fill up. Considering a decent additive costs around 8 - 10 quid and only lasts for that tank full.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zinc accelerates Injector wear.