General Fuel again, diesel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bones126, Friday 19th Sep, 2014.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Sorry, I know it's been killed to death but thought I'd post my findings over the past couple of months as per Av MPG.

Here's something I have noticed over the past couple of months and the age old is this fuel better than that fuel topic;

My last 3 fill ups have been at; (full tank every time from when light first comes on).
    1, The local Esso station, only normal diesel there.
    2, The Shell station with V Power + diesel
    3, Shell Normal diesel.

Doing the same trip every day of the week to work in the same stop start traffic I got surprisingly the following Av MPG.
    1, Esso - 34-35
    2, Shell V power - 33-34
    3, shell normal - up to at times 38 but Av around 36-37

So appreciating everyone drives differently, my findings are that Shell normal is for me in the 2.2 diesel better for Av MPG, the V Power may be better for the engine but doesn't produce the same as or expected better MPG or the rip your hands off the steering wheel power some claim lol.

There's not a major difference between them all but Shell normal works best for me.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

That's fascinating - thanks for posting.

I usually use Shell normal as my company fuel card forbids "premium" fuels, so this is good to know :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you get the opportunity, test out BP as well @Bones126 - some interesting information here for other diesel owners. I'd like to see if they hold up for other i-CTDIs and indeed the I-DTEC.

Premium petrol (97RON+) has been proven many times to make better power and provide better economy on K/R-Series Hondas, premium Diesel however might be quite the opposite.

As you say mind, there's been many debates on this one - it's always hard reaching a consensus.

Bones126 likes this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Will do DD, 400 odd miles to go first though, but there's a BP up the road so will does those next and edit post as I go :Niceone:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    :Frown: I'm still stuck at 24mpg lol

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

We could end up going down the rabbit hole here, but that's your 10w-40 for you :Tongue:

PeteMM likes this.
  7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    lol yup, so many factors, In @PeteMM 's case it's his size 10 lead boot :neo:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Oh he has lead boots by all account, but I do too. I shouldn't get 31mpg and he only get 24mpg :Laughing:

He'll mention Irish roads in a minute... :Fear:

Bones126 likes this.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for posting Bones126.

Interesting findings and also interesting to hear someone else is getting similar to me - economy equivalent to or perhaps slightly worse than petrols in these "ultra-economical" diesels.

I struggle, and I mean struggle, to better any of my petrol Accords by greater than 8-10MPG in my I-DTEC.

10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Update on the above figures and as requested by @DeviateDefiant I'm now running on BP Ultimate and on the run to work I'm getting an Average of 34-35, so better than the Shell V Power slightly.
    The shell normal eventual settled down to around 35-36 MPG over a couple of weeks, so at this point still showing the best MPG at a slight margin, once I've run the Ultimate out I'll check out the normal BP and see how we go there. Not life saving information but no harm in trying it and it ain't going no-where with no fuel in it lol.

Next this will be a look at cleaning the ERG valve, but the remap comes in a couple of weeks so will be testing that out for you. Thinking pout loud, it may be worth testing map and then cleaning the ERG valve and then repeating the above :Niceone:

Ichiban and DeviateDefiant like this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I think where diesel makes more sense is regular long runs - @Bones126 does note in the original post that his figures are from stop/start traffic.

My average over c40k miles (in an I-DTEC automatic) shows on the trip computer as 45.1mpg vs a Honda quoted official combined of 45.6mpg. The type of driving I do means I can get that close, I guess.

The official 2.0 i-VTEC petrol combined average is 38.7mpg and the 2.4 i-VTEC is 33.6mpg. In outright financial terms, given that the diesel costs more in the first place, you need to do a lot of miles for it to really make sense IMHO.

On my runs up the M1, I regularly get 50mpg driving smoothly at 70mph. What I find kills the MPG are the shorter journeys - perhaps there is not such a marked difference in a petrol (so long since I had one for everyday driving that I just can't remember!! :Aghast:).

Bones126 likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Interesting results there Dave, I'm interested to see if BP Regular out does its premium counterpart like with the Shell. It may mean the better refined fuel can't really be utilised on the I-CDTI as it's map is optimised for the regular stuff. I'm wondering if your findings would still hold true on a remap. The K/R-Series petrols have adaptive fuel mapping and can make use of the premium fuel, it's looking like the I-CDTI diesel map can't ...of course, if it's not just your particular car :Laughing:

Bones126 likes this.
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Interesting, so other than the extra cleaning is it worth putting premium diesel in my CR-V? I'm shoving a can of the TUV approved fuel treatment in every 6 months anyway.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd say run some tests like @Bones126 and try and validate his results, if it pans out we should begin advising others to use regular BP/Shell. Be interested to see how the I-DTEC behaves with premium fuel too.

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just been down to Chester with work last week.

On the way down I got 54.5MPG and on the way back 52.3MPG. It's up hill all the way back up north :lol: Was on a training course so far too much food (and a couple of beers every night) so it's probably the car having to haul my fat(ter) carcass back up over Shap on the M6 that was the real reason for reduced MPG.

Seriously though my 2.0iVTEC would do the same journey on 43-45MPG so I'm continually getting 10MPG better with I-DTEC for every type of driving so like Ed says you need to be doing lots of long motorway runs for I-DTEC to really pay dividends. Funnily enough one of the lads has just bought 1.6iDTEC CR-V and he says he's getting around 50MPG round the town and 60MPG on motorway runs.

I bored him to death talking Honda at breakfast one morning :lol:

Ichiban, Bones126 and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    John I killed the Diesel Insipid , its gone I have petrol Insipid now and guess what there are not rattle and humming chattering. The engine is gutless but hey I am enjoying the silence and refinement of a petrol . As for MPG petrol will lose that battel all day long but if it only for 10MPG sod that I will take silence and refinement all day long.

John Dickson likes this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ha ha another example of GM "Quality" there mate! Everyone I know who has a Vauxhall hates the things with a passion simply because they're all nothing but trouble. They've been building cars since 1926 for crikey's sake surely they would've mastered it by now you'd think! :lol:

Didn't think petrol Insipids existed apart from VX-R version.

Can't imagine it's any less nasty than the Satan fuel version, well ok maybe a little, as it's not powered by Thwaites dumper truck single cylinder diesel lump but it'll still have that air of GM $#yt£yness about it!

Ichiban likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have killed that diesel insipid :Nuked: well and proper mate the job is done.:Devil: as for GM thier new slogan should be " Stacking shyte on British roads for 100 years and we are proud of it" I too thought they didn't make Petrol insipid I was expecting another weasel engine,but its quite :poke:

John Dickson likes this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I stopped using premium diesel a few weeks ago when DD said he didn't think the diesels had the ability to adjust for the different diesel types but I'm sure my economy isn't as good as it should be even after a MAF and EGR valve clean. Although it has got notably colder over the last few weeks also and I've hardly touched a motorway recently plus my oil is probably breaking down like a BMW so there's a few things going on that could be causing the difference.

20. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Classic! :lol:

Surely no oil is as bad as that? :Wink:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ha ha that's a great slogan! Could make a fortune if you copyrighted that one! Just a minor tweak and it would also suit VAG for sure!

:GoodJob: What killed it mate? Blown turbo? Knacked DMF? Or just the whole GM pile of s#yt£ in general self destructing?