Fuel Efficiency Fuel consumption 1st check

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by flyerphil, Tuesday 17th Dec, 2013.

1. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have owned my Accord (2 litre) for about 5 months now, and at the weekend drove to Scotland. I gave it a brim to brim check and obtained 39.5 MPG, using the cruise control set to 70.

I am very pleased with this. The last three cars I have owned have been 2 litre diesels, and typically returned 10 miles/litre or 45.4 miles/gal on a run. The VTEC engine is therefore very efficient. I have not really checked it on mixed urban driving - it probably drops to 32 - 33 under these conditions, I suspect? Can anyone provide figures?

I am also pleased with the reliability of these cars, and the 1998 - 2002 models are so cheap to buy (£500). Its almost worth considering buying a few and putting them in storage, to provide cheap reliable motoring for many years. :Wink:

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Those are very high MPG values. I achieve 25mpg on urban but I drive like every 19 year old should. On the motorway when I drive without cruise control and usually at a speed allowed on the auto bahn only I get around 29mpg. With cruise control it shoots up to 34 MPG.

3. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    Try owning a V6 Coupe, last fill up was 17mpg :Aghast:

Obviously it's the fault of the autobox and not my heavy right foot :Wink:

Neil likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Life too short to look at MPG bud , enjoy the car and let someone else brag about MPG. :Wink:

Edit: response put in quotes so it targeted to HB :Hey:

5. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that's a rather adolescent reply in my opinion. With fuel the price that it is, I would have thought that MPG is of wide interest. As I said, my last three cars have been diesels, however with the DMF and DPF problems with modern diesels, I have decided to skip them for a few years, until the technology settles.

Of course my interest in MPG is also a function of my present financial situation. Ten years ago I earned 70k a year and ran an E34 7 series BMW. A wonderful car, but at 22 MPG, I had to sell it when my fortunes changed.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think CJ was directly referring to HoneyBadger in his V6 not yourself FlyerPhil

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have quoted HB comments toward him. Phil its a free world each to their own:Hey:

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I got this idea that if I can't run a low MPG car I won't buy one :Smile:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Umm so how much does your JDM lude give in Scottish miles per gallon then !!

10. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

no idea m8 I never check it :Happy:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Life too short isn't it ... Please for the MPG lovers this is directed to Candobill .. you may get offended as you are running an oil burner.

12. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

my sentiments too m8 if I can't afford it you will see it on ebay :Happy::Happy:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why can't be selling it so soon you just got the car! you need to see me we can put some sails on the Lude for some extra free carbon free resistance..lol

hey carbon offsetting !!

ahahahah

14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

already fitted m8 :Happy::Happy: and the spinnaker sail :Happy::Happy:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Then why the flip are you moaning about then ?