General Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Wednesday 5th Jun, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not a very important question but I was thinking about it the other day. Not getting into specific numbers but just being loosely based, which would be less fuel efficient:

Driving at X mph @ 2,000 RPM with your foot 1/2 down on the accelerator pedal

or

Driving at X mph @ 4,000 RPM with your foot 1/4 down on the accelerator pedal

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    From personal experience for the 7th Generation

6th gear revs 2500 is the optimum fuel efficiency spot for the 2.4 with a feather light throttle touch. IIRC that is 65MPH and you should back off the throttle ever so slightly when you going downhill and get in a lower gear and build momentum before a climb and get into top gear on the submit.

Change your gears at 1500 RPM you wil see a massive increase. If you had the 8th Generation the SIL would make you a really fuel efficient driver.

Have a bash at this game Shell Eco-marathon Energy Run game - Shell Global

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Would you say it's the accelerator pedal that has a greater impact on fuel consumption or the revs? (I'm guessing the former)

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes once you have achieved 70 MPH on a flat piece of tarmac then you can slightly back off the throttle as the momentum is already there to maintain that speed. If you had a facelift Accord the i-MID will show you the fuel efficiency in real time depending on your throttle position.

Steam engine used to do that when they achieved their cursing speed, the driver backed off on the steam flow slightly and dropped it a point where momentum and lower steam pressure maintained the same speed. holding a throttle at a fixed position will waste fuel,

Cruise control is a prime example of that it waste fuel even coming down hill as it will maintain the same speed when you should be backing off.