Accord 08-14 i-DTEC, N22B

1. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 9th Apr, 2014
    SayamaAccord likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good work there but surely using the chain strap on the cap on the same car regularly will damage the stainer cap. you can add masking tape or even cloth for it to stop biting the plastic top will be getting deformed every time the twisting action is applied.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Congratulations on doing the fuel filter change. I's always nice doing a job yourself.

4. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi
    Thanks for the info,
    I'm going to change mine this weekend. I have a Oil filter wrench with a web strap instead of a chain, see how that goes.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all
    The Honda tool for removing the filter housing is aparantly £75ish well this one does the same thing for £4.49 plus £6.39 delivery. I've just got mine and changed the filter no problem on saturday. This the link to the seller on Ebay Isuzu Honda 89mm 15 Flute Oil Filter Wrench Socket | eBay

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same flutes but the tabs as shown here will be missing for the cap to hook in. If you buy the ebay one please give your feedback. if you can get the filter cap off without the tabs then my friend you have found the holy grail.

8. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It works a treat, its no different than removing the Oil Filter housing that has no tabs. Its just a big plastic bolt head

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Amazing stuff bud that will be great news for I-DTEC owners. Did you take any picture of your DIY ,if so please post them.

10. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No I didn't take any pics other people have taken far better pics than I can, but I agree with their method

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats all right chaps. I did end up buying three of these things. The first was 88mm that was a smidge too tight and slipped off very easily so then i order a 90mm that was too loose i tried packing it out but it was too much messing about, Then i found the 89mm one (The wonders of Ebay) and here we are Happy Days

13. dcmb1984 New Member Getting Started

I-Dtec fuel filter "special" tool

Hey
    My car is coming near its first service in my hands and I like to do things myself and I wondering does anyone know where I could buy this " special " tool required to remove the fuel filter. Any help would be great.
    Cheers:Thumbup:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: I-Dtec fuel filter "special" tool

Hello and welcome moving your thread to the DIY thread.

15. sev Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    Just did mine using one of this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=d...mphAed5IDwAw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=638
    First quarter of a turn was hard, do it in small steps, don't try to force at one go. All the rest - piece of cake.
    Remember to lubricate the strainer thread and rubber seal with some diesel, it will make it much easier to screw in with only hands.
    Again - last quarter of a turn with chain wrench - and job done.
    Thanks for DIY.

PS
    Don't know why my battery lost lots of charge after this 1h job.
    I had to bother my neighbor to jump start my car.

16. deeno1975 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Killian Ireland
    DIY 8th Generation i-DTEC Diesel Fuel Filter Change - New and Easier Method

Just doing up a DIY on how to change the fuel filter, I had a previous DIY but after doing it a second time, this method is much quicker and safer in terms of removing the filter cover.

1. Make sure you have at least 5 litres of diesel in the tank to enable proper bleeding once complete.

2. Removed the cross member.

3. Create some room to get at the filter by moving the fuse box to the side. Undo the nut holding the fuse box, unclip it at the other end and move to one side.

4. Remove the top bolt holding the fuel pipe to the top of the filter and pull the fuel pipe out. Have a cloth ready to catch any fuel spillage.

5. Next unscrew the top of the filter cover using Isuzu Honda 89mm 15 Flute Oil Filter Wrench Socket (Isuzu Honda 89mm 15 Flute Oil Filter Wrench Socket | eBay), it fits perfectly and makes the job so much easier. I used an extension bar with a universal joint so that the socket fits perfeclty on the filter cover.

6. Once the filter is removed the filter housing must be drained. Again two options;

Option one is to drain the filter via the drain plug at the bottom of the filter. This can be accessed by jacking up the car, put on axle stands, remove wheel, put car on left lock on wheel and use a spanner and hose to drain the filter via the drain plug.

Option two (the one we used) is to suck the fuel out of the filter using a siphon, i used a cheap as Draper Syphon. Makes the job very easy. Clean inside of fuel filter with a cloth if there is any dirt.

7. Got the filter from a Honda dealer, only Honda parts going into my machine. Coat the new O ring in some fuel and replace the old ones. Two O rings come in the kit, one for the filter cover and the other for the drain plug. Replace the old ones with new ones. Pull the old filter out and put the new filter in.

8. Put the filter cover and new filter back into the housing and screw.

9. Using the same technique as 6 above to tighten the cover. An arrow on the filter cover points to a notch on the housing when correctly tightened.

10. Replace the fuel pipe and bolt in.

11. Replace the fuse box back in position and tighten bolts.

12. Replace and bolt on the cross member.

13. Turn on ignition to III (but do not start) and leave the pump prime and bleed the system. I turned the key to III and left for 50 seconds and did this twice. You can hear the pump priming the fuel system.

14. Once primed I started the engine and she started first time. Checked for leaks and took her for a spin. Happy days!!

Much easier and better than my first attempt, we live and learn.

Attached Files:

AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: DIY 8th Generation i-DTEC Diesel Fuel Filter Change - New and Easier Method

Good work, any tool which makes life easier is bonus. :GoodJob: