Electrical & Lights Fuel gauge reading zero

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by j4mes, Tuesday 21st Aug, 2012.

1. j4mes New Member Getting Started

Hi - just joined the forum. Had a search but couldn't find what I was after.

I bought a 2001 Accord Type-R yesterday and so far love it.
    Picked it up with a little bit of fuel in, but on the way home it the low fuel light came on so I topped off the tank with £70 worth of fuel and the fuel gauge shot to the top (as you would expect).

Started it up this morning and the fuel gauge is reading zero, but it has a full tank. The low fuel light isn't on, so I suspect it's a problem with the gauge rather than the sender.

Is this a common fault, and is there an easy fix? Or am I looking at a new set of dials :Frown:

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try tapping the dial first I.e if in doubt give it a clout.
    Sounds more like a dodgy connection to me. I'd give it a few days to see if it starts working again.

3. j4mes New Member Getting Started

Cheers mate - I'll give the dash a smack at lunch time and see if it cures itself. Don't really fancy taking the clocks out of my shiny new car. Also, on a different, but still fuel related topic - should i be running it on high octane fuel?

4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a question for someone else mate. I doubt it but someone will be along soon to confirm.

5. j4mes New Member Getting Started

Just had a text back from the guy I bought it off. He swears he told me about it... Anyway, he says it's an intermittent fault that happens occasionally. Sounds like a loose connection to me. Spose it's a small weight off my shoulders knowing that this isn't the first time it's happened, but still a bit of a pain.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't know about fuel gauge but pretty sure Type-R should be run on 98 octane or higher.