Fuel Efficiency Fuel.... Here we go!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AlanR8, Thursday 19th May, 2016.

1. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    Having been a super market customer for fuel, for ever, discounts points etc, I finally went to Shell for my last tank.

I bought the standard diesel. Here's the question, should I buy the nitro to clear out the tubes now, then maintain on standard and "flush" with nitro say once a month....

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If you ask five people you'll get 5 different answers.

We have members here that use regular or supermarket fuel all the time and are happy with it.

For what it's worth, I was using Shell regular diesel in our 'other' car and then switched to VPN. The pick-up and responsiveness has greatly improved. I will not go back to standard diesel.

My Accord is only fed on BP Ultimate (petrol)
    BP Ultimate does not have any ethanol added to it. Our other car has now been switched to BP Ultimate Diesel. I would have done this earlier, but the local BP stations did not stock it.

Neither car will have regular fuel again.

As for flushing your 7th Generation with VPN, it's got to help a little, but you really need to use it all the time.
    Also, make sure you change the oil regularly (ideally, every 6k miles) and with the correct grade.

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Obviously there are potential performance benefits from using fuel with an increased octane or cetane content.

But I don't understand what needs cleaning from the tubes, nor how a premium fuel might achieve this. There is a fuel filter for removing particulate contamination and any dissolved contamination would presumably remain dissolved as it passes into the combustion chamber?

Do filling stations ever have to flush out their standard diesel pumps with premium fuel because they get a bit blocked?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good point.

What I can say with certainty, is that the response from our diesel car is significantly better with VPN and Ultimate.

With my annual mileage, the difference in cost s marginal, so I'll stick with BP Ultimate.

5. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi Alan.
    Always feed my 2.2 I-DTEC on main brand diesel-namely Shell normal diesel, hopefully it will help keep the DPF clean. Once it did have a tank of BP Ultimate but i did not notice any difference.

John

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My understanding is that it takes about 4 tanks of fuel for the car to 'learn' and thus gain maximum benefit from the fuel it's run on.

When my employer supplied a car, they only paid enough for regular fuel. It ran fine on that, but they were always new cars.
    However, I prefer to run mine on what will keep them at optimum performance. I keep my cars for 10+ years, so this influences my choice of fuel and how I maintain them.

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    @Nels
    I was not aware that cars learn! how is that achieved? and is it written back to the engine ECU map?

John

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Smokingman - Cars do indeed learn your driving profile and adjust themselves accordingly to the fuel they are being fed over time.

My Accord has only used Shell... I don't touch supermarket stuff

Nels likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There's far more to what that little black box does than most people know.

When I had my CU1 serviced at HH earlier this year, it was connected up to the HDS. It was an eye opener to see some of the options available.

10. AlanR8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Manchester
    An update. Since posting this thread I've used Shell regular on every fill but two when I used Nitro. Since the switch my average MPG has increased from about 48-49 to 51-52. In fact my last fill today came in at 54 MPG.... I'm sold....

Nels likes this.