General Fuel lifetime question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jd1959, Monday 14th Dec, 2015.

1. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    So since converting the car to LPG, which has been working well, it struck me that the petrol in the tank is nearing a bit more than a month old at this point. Although using a small amount for starting and heating the engine at what point should I run the engine on petrol and use it up. Just to complicate this, the fuel in Ireland has at least 5% ethanol and usually more like 10% which loves its water and running into the colder months I really don't want a layer of H2O on the bottom of the tank when it does freeze out. I want to try and keep a eighth to a quarter or a tank most of the time to keep the fuel pump lubricated and cool.

One thought I had was to use what is currently in there till approx 1/8 tank and fill to 1/4. Which judging by the last months usage on lpg would leave me adding an 1/8 of a tank of fresh fuel per month or so and hopefully keep the pump in good shape. Is this a reasonable plan?

Other question a bit off topic on the lpg does anyone know how many drops per min of the valve saver (JML) a k20 economy Honda engine should use? I set it initially to the suggested 15drops/min but it drinks the stuff. I am aiming for 1ml/L of LPG used doing this is a bit more of a pain than I thought and a rough guide would be helpful.

Thanks for any input.
    Zack

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think the best person to answer your questions is @SpeedyGee, our LPG guru. :sage:

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You should be using about 400ml of flashlube per 1000 miles, which I think equates to 8 drops per minutes or 7.5 seconds between drops.

jd1959 likes this.
  4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks @SpeedyGee that helps a good bit. Do the thoughts around petrol usage seem to be about right? I don't want to wreck the fuel system or pump especially with the government mandated ethanol, it might be seen as a false economy.