Aftermarket Kit Fuel Pipes Renewal

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by mbf001, Thursday 17th Sep, 2015.

1. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Glasgow
    Accord 2002 SE Excec 1997cc
    FUEL PIPES RENEWAL

Anyone got tips on the best way to do this and the best kit to use?
    Rather than using OEM Honda parts are there any good aftermarket kits?
    I'm thinking something like nylon pipes, joints and fittings but as I don't know sizes etc I'm looking for good detailed advice.
    Can nylon pipes be used on the pressure side?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which pipe are we talking about from the filler neck the tank? Petrol is very dangerous so always used fuel compliant pipes not cheapest ones for your own safety.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@mbf001 The font size of your posts is larger than the default. It feels like you're shouting at us.
    Are you altering it, or is it your device?

4. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apologies. No "shouting" intended. It's just text which makes no noise at all. As the facillity is there to change text size, I used it.
    Will revert to default.

Nels likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

TY.
    It's there to use when you need to emphasise something, so please use when needed.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi @mbf001
    When you say you want to replace the fuel lines, why do you need to do this, are they damaged and leaking?
    Honda ACCORD 1999 2.0ILS FUEL PIPE - Original Honda Parts | Lings Honda

which parts are the ones your looking at replacing?
    Try giving Holdcroft Honda a ring with the part numbers and see how much they can get them for you. Just mention the forum name, you will be suprised.

demian likes this.
  7. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Harvey. Rear sections badly corroded but not leaking...yet. No idea where to obtain the part numbers. Can't get a workshop manual for my model & year of Accord and the dealership wouldn't give me the part numbers.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The pipes are costly from Honda but are the easiest and best repair and if under sealed and fitted properly with new underbody clips they will far outlast the life of the car. It's the plastic clamps that cause the corrosion over time. You will notice the rust is worse when the pipes run through the clips. Brake lines are also susceptible but most people replace these with repair lengths in copper which is perfectly acceptable. @DeviateDefiant can fill you in with the price and process as I fitted genuine lines on his ATR. Personally I wouldn't fit anything other than a fit for purpose pipe with fuel lines. It's the only safe way

exec likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fully agree, ideally new Honda lines or at worst second hand lines that are in top notch condition.

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Second hand lines are almost impossible to get hold of without being in the same condition. They all suffer from the same disease, never say never mind.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I appreciate that they do all suffer from this, which is why I added the donor second hand lines should be in top nick.
    But yes, finding lines in good nick is a tall ask.

12. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having read somewhere that nylon aftermarket lines are easier and better.I'd make up my own replacements if I knew which inside diameters and associated fittings are required.
    I had an independant mechanic re-check the existing fuel lines and while the surfaces are corroded he reckons that the Honda dealership was greatly over-emphasising the situation. Surprise, surprise ;-)

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

These are known to suffer from rust, so there wouldn't be much point in ignoring the issue until it got further along. For safety reason I can understand why the dealer highlighted them to you.

Where safety is concerned, I don't think you could call it "over-emphasising the situation".

14. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's a question of degree of corrosion and a bit of common sense applied to making a judgement. However I prefer to play safe.
    That's why I am looking for an alternative aftermarket replacement solution but I'm getting no replies to my questions about sourcing the nylon or other suitable material fuel lines and associated fittings.
    The Honda prices for some OEM bent lengths of tubing are ridiculous. Approx12 metres (a rough estimate) of their fuel pipe works out at about £25 per metre.
    Have people got so used to being ripped off that they've given up caring?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Not everyone will be confident in fabbing up their own lines.

Also, it's not just the root cost of making the "bent pieces of tubing", such things won't be made to order, they will be made in batches sometime ago and stored ... so you're paying for storage costs and other such logistics.

Which indicates that the route that you wish to go down is not an easy one, which is why most people take the easy option and simply buy the OEM item.

With brake lines it's a little different as the end connectors are more readily available.

16. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You seem a very negative person Mike.

17. demian New Member Getting Started

The part numbers seem to be listed in the link Harvey kindly posted. For example, part 11 in the scheme has a part number 17700-S1A-E00. You'd ideally need an Electronic Parts Catalogue for the parts numbers, not the workshop manual, but essentially the Honda Lings site offers the same information as the EPC.

You could try procuring a second-hand fuel line, no matter how rusty, and ask a knowledgeable professional if it can be replicated with copper tube. That way you can keep your car on the road while asking around and doing research.

While you're at it, I'd fabricate some new brake lines as well.

Zebster likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Harvey likes this.
  19. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Demian. Practical points.
    I did get to the part numbers....eventually.
    The thing is that I don't need the car all that much but I want to keep it.
    However I refuse to pay the iniquitous prices being charged for new parts.

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you given Holdcroft Honda a ring, to see how much they are? The Lings site merely lists them at the retail price.

I once has a peugeot 106 that needed replacement fuel lines, to have both of them done cost me over £150 in plastic fuel line. Bearing in mind that those run internally and I had removed the interior as well.