Engine & Gearbox Fuel Pump confusion. Newbie needs help please.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by stevander74, Monday 8th Jul, 2013.

1. stevander74 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steven glasgow
    Hi everybody :Smile:

I'm new to the forum and I need a little assistance from you professionals.
    I have a 2000 coupe 2.0ies in fair to good nick for its age with quite low mileage. (That I'd really like to get restored)

The problem I'm having is with the fuel pump (I think). When I started it yesterday it fired up, ran for a couple of secs then fizzled out like it had ran out of fuel. I checked for a spark which it had which lead me on to the fuel system. Checked the pump fuse which was fine then went looking for info on here. I found and read RiLy88's thread on the same problem which helped but by that time it was getting too late to do anything so I didn't bother. So, this morning I went to get my work keys out of the car and decided to give it a try. I turned the ignition on and heard the pump prime and then started it and it fired up fine. I turned it off and tried a few more times and it started every time so I assumed it was an immobilizer issue that just needed some time to reset so I drove it to work. (you know where this is going don't you:Blushing:) Yep, it wouldn't start at home time! I couldn't hear the pump prime anymore so I've uncovered the pump (after getting towed home) and disconnected the plug and here's where you come in.

The plug has 5 terminals which seem to be 3 positive feeds (pump, gauge, and warning light?) and 2 earths. With ignition on I have positive current on 2 of the feeds, should it be all 3? Which wire is the pump feed from the relay? I gather the relays have a tendency to fail, where is it/how do i find it? I haven't got a workshop manual yet and I'm reluctant to buy a saloon/hatchback one since I've already found some differences with the coupe.

Any help anybody can give will be greatly appreciated thanks :Thumbup:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the fuel relay swapped and see if that helps, the 6th Generation fuel relays do deteriorate with age making the relays less effective and making warm starting an issue.

3. stevander74 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steven glasgow
    Thanks Ichi :Thumbup: I saw you posted that on RiLy88's thread. I haven't had a problem with warm starts, it's been cold starts both times its failed. I was going to change the relay anyway since it's a cheap part and the current one is probably the original. The problem is with finding the little bugger as I don't have a map and the pics I can find on the internet aren't very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quick update. Car is starting again this morning :Angry:. I've identified the fuel pump relay, which is clicking as it should, and I've identified the pump feed wire as the black/yellow which is positive for current when the ignition is turned on then loses current once the pump is primed. Now I need it to breakdown again so I can check whats not working.

- - - Updated - - -

It's deffo the relay! (He says too soon)
    Tried starting it again about 5 this evening and it wouldn't. Did the hand on the relay test and couldn't feel it click like I could this morning and despite it not being used all day the relay felt hot, obviously due to it sitting baking in the hot sun.
    So, a quick call to Honda dealer in the morning and it'll be sorted for the weekend and my wallet will be £55 lighter.