Engine & Gearbox Fuel pump priming problem

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by SimonUK, Monday 15th Jul, 2013.

1. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone

I have a problem whereby if I do not start my car properly and it stalls I am unable to restart it again for at least approx. 30 mins. This has been getting worse over the past few years, as I only had to wait 5 minutes before it would then start again.

Basically I cannot here the fuel pump priming, that is the issue.

The car is a 99 Accord and has done over 240k and I believe it potentially to be the fuel pump relay.

Has anyone had this problem and if so can you help me?

Thanks
    Simon

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes a faulty fuel pump relay can cause pump priming issues, the relay contacts get pitted and start to cause problems. Get the relay swapped out, this should fix the problem.

3. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi SpeedyGee

I'm hoping someone has had the exact same issue as i don't want to change the relay over only to then find it's the pump itself!

Thanks

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have a search of the forum mate, you'll see it's common for the relay to go but I can't recall anyone reporting a fuel pump needing changing.

5. SimonUK Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

I took out the relay and checked for bad/dry joints but couldn't see any that required repairing

So i phoned up my local Honda garage and was quoted over £300 for the relay! WTF, surely this can't be true?!