Engine & Gearbox Fuel relay location.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by guyayres, Sunday 26th Apr, 2015.

1. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    HI
    I'm looking for the exact location of the "fuel relay" in a 2006 accord 2.2 diesel. I am suffering from the well documented hot start problem, but cannot find the relay.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you checked the Control Units (fuse boxes) in the engine compartment an cabin?
    The information should be in your handbook.

You need to add your car to the Club Garage. It will then show on all your posts and thus help us to help you.

3. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    Unfortunately, my manual only lists fuses and not relays. I have read that it is normally positioned under the steering wheel, behind the cruise control box. However this is on US models not UK and all older models. It has a reputation of being hard to find and it's living up to it!

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    How have you come to think it's the fuel relay?

5. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    Car starts when cold, runs like a dream. When hot will not start so i'm looking at 2 possible options dry joint in relay expanding when hot and not making contact or thermostat. Fuel pump is working fine when running, with a new filter. Injectors are working, but have not been removed and looked at. A friend has plugged in his pc and it is showing no error codes, but does show a battery voltage problem, however replacing the battery has made no difference.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Have a search on the forum. I've not known of fuel relay problems on the 7 gen.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Especially on the diesels?

8. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    Hi beefy
    Thanks for your attention. I,m clutching at straws really, but read about it via google. I'm open to suggestions while I'm saving up enough to take it to honda.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The PGM-FI relay is behind the glove box, although the mechanically driven fuel pump on the diesel models needs no relay!

You problem sounds more like the fuel rail failing to sufficiently pressurise due to an excessive leak back from either the injectors or the fuel rail overpressure relief valve. These problems are quite common and lead to hot starting problems.

guyayres likes this.
  10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    pgmfi relays are a possible problem on 6th generation Accords but yours is a 7th Generation. it could be a mixture of problems on hot start usually high pressure fuel pump related. has the engine light been on at all?

11. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    Hi Zebster
    That sounds interesting, When i turn the ignition off after failing to start, i get a phissing noise that i haven't managed to locate.
    My old accord was stolen from near you, enville?

No beefy, no engine lights on at all.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Lol... I actually live the other side of Bridgnorth, so I guess I don't need a alibi?

In the first instance, it's very easier to check the fuel rail valve for leakage (and to replace it if it is found to be leaking). The injectors aren't hard to check, but need more fiddling about with tubing and containers. Here's a link to a thread on the Civinfo forum, which details how to check that rail overpressure relief valve for leakage on the exact same engine - How to diagnose and replace a faulty over pressure relief valve on a 2006 2.2 i-CTDi - Civinfo

Be careful of taking the car to Honda, the repairs could well cost more than the car is worth. A Bosch service centre would be a better option, in my opinion (they made the fuel injection system, and stock the parts necessary to repair subsystems, rather than just replacing hugely expensive parts like whole fuel rail or fuel pump).

No sure I can explain the noise after it fails to start, but there will be some fuel pressure that needs to be bled back to the fuel tank.

13. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    Thanks for all the help, i've checked the relief valve and it seems to be faulty, (fuel in the container). I can't remove it, if i try again i might damage the head even more so i shall take it to a local bosch service centre ASAP.
    Thanks again.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You're not the first to struggle with removing it! Another popular option is to obtain a secondhand fuel rail (complete with valve and pressure sensor) and then swap the whole thing. Should cost well under £100 from an eBay vehicle breaker.

Now you've confidently diagnosed the problem, all you really need is an experienced mechanic with a good set of tools.

15. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    sensor is out !!!
    getting there 1 step at a time.
    - - - Updated - - -
    He's a strange thing though:
    If i put the car in neutral, put my foot on the clutch, turn the ignition and release the clutch the engine starts.

Now I am confused.......

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm now confused. Why have you mentioned the sensor?

Or are you starting the engine with the rail relief valve removed? Why? This is also confusing!

Are you suggesting that you are able to operate the starter motor by operating the clutch? Even more confusing!

17. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    no, it's back in ! Got the part number and put it back. I needed to move the car.
    Mad - slightly
    stupid - no

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So why were you confused that you were able to start the engine after refitting the valve?

19. guyayres Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England guy watford
    confused it now starts when i push the clutch in and out.

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well that is fairly confusing, I'll admit. I didn't know these had an auto stop/start feature!