Service & Maintenance Fuel Smell or a Leak?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Wednesday 14th Sep, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I mentioned in an email to @Pottermus a little while back that I was getting a smell of petrol from my car after it has been sitting for a period of time. Today I got the jack out to find the source of the leak and it appears there is one on the fuel vent pipe. I had emailed him to see if the pipes are available of which he emailed back saying they where. However on closer inspection it appears that the plastic tray thing they sit in has come away from the body as well, since the plastic nuts securing them have gone bad from the last time they where taken off when the break lines where done years ago.

While a fuel leak is of serious concern it is fortunately on a vent pipe only and I will be ordering a replacement part in due course. What is of immediate concern though is that the fuel lines are hanging down and this putting more stress on the old pipes. I will be ordering new clips so that they don't fall off and some additional ones for when the car goes in to get the pipe replaced.

exec likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels sadly it doesn't mate, they seem to use a special clip that pushes up onto a thread sticking down from the body. Hopefully some new clips will solve the issue of the fuel lines hanging down.
    upload_2016-9-14_19-52-12.

In this case it is part number 27. part number 91598S84A01.

It looks like the previous person who had the brackets off simply used silicone or similar to hold them on.

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is there smell there before you start the engine or after?

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the smell is only present once the engine has been running and then switched off. I can't smell it while the engine is running. Will still need to special clips though as the fuel lines are just hanging at the moment.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Ah I see, as I was going to it might just be the fuel smell on cold start when cars trying to warm up, but I guess it isnt that...

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

part number 13 on the above diagram. fuel vent line, its got a crack/pinhole in it and it leaks when it purges the carbon canister? back to the tank.

exec likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I have been on to Holdcroft today and I have ordered a new fuel vent pipe and the special clips that hold the fuel line brackets in place. unfortunately the parts won't be in stock until next week. I am however going to attempt a temporary bodge for the time being until the correct parts arrive.

Ichiban and exec like this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Temporary bodge completed with the help of some superglue.

Who ever did the brakes likes years ago seems to have used silicone when the under protective tray wouldn't clip back in properly instead of replacing the clips. So using a knife I dug some of the silicone out and cleared the little teeth inside, covered it in superglue and pushed it back into place, only on one of the clips so that it isn't a ball ache to remove when it needs to be. However messing with the pipes did result in a smell of petrol. Not ideal, but it is the vent pipe that's leaking. hopefully the garage will be considerate and not further damage the fragile pipes. At least until I have the funds available to replace all of them

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Another development

ITS LEAKING SOMEWHERE ELESE NOW!!!!

This is becoming really annoying. After fixing up the fuel pipe guard tray thingy which was hanging down and going for abit of a drive, came home as I had a dentist appointment at 5pm I noticed that there was a puddle underneath the car. After closer inspection its now decided to leak at the fuel filter connection! Great! gonna pop into the garage tomorrow and see if they can sort it as they fitted it, even though I supplied a genuine Honda filter, I can't see that leaking, but you never know, this is getting really frustrating!

exec likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Further update. The new parts have not arrived yet, but I took the car to the garage that fitted the fuel filter and they confirmed that it was leaking (which surprised me as it was a new genuine filter I bought earlier this year) and have replaced it. Though not free of charge, but £44 which wasn't too bad really. So there we have it, one major pain in the butt sorted!

exec likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Was the actual filter leaking? or was it leaking at the connections? When I did mine up it was abit fiddly with the clips.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it was leaking at the connections, because of a failed o ring inside the filter.

Ichiban and exec like this.