General Full Dash Removal Required for Passenger Tray Access ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Thursday 26th Feb, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I was wondering if I need to remove the entire dash, to be able to remote the passenger tray, as indicated below ?
    51560_IMG_20140904_161659.

Looking at a blowout diagram, the direction of the screw indicates that the tray (part 18) is fastened to the inside of the dash
    145a5ce2a985804bd8ecd977c2f809b2.

For reference, the instrument panel blowout is shown below
    3a1dbf3130c5924bca4f62a5b9d731cb.

Am I reading this diagram correctly ?

The reason I'm asking is that I was considering putting carbon wrap on the front passenger tray, but if it means taking out the entire dash, I'm not sure if I'm quite up to that at the moment :Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looks like the bolts for it come from behind.

Why do you want to remove it ?

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I want to remote it so I can carbon wrap it. I'd prefer the carbon wrap to go all the way round to the back of the trim piece, instead of just cutting it, so need to get the trim piece out of the dash.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry yes, you did say that !! doh !

Might be easier just trying to do it in situ

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    confused at to what the tray is? is it behind the centre console? what are you carbon wraping?

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@Beefy - the tray I am referring to is the recess on the front passenger side of the dash, just above the glove box.

I had a feel around behind the dash (after removing the glovebox), and it definitely feels like it's screwed in.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    errr... silly me. just looked at your picture. never had to remove that trim but it looks like it is screwed to the formed part of the dash assembly. unless you can get at the screws by removing the PAS air bag. remove the N/S A pillar trim (where it says airbag use a screw driver to flick out the clip) and remove the trim. then drop down the glove box lid. with a bit of pressure the rubber stops will pull free of the dash. there may be a damper attached. just unclip it. if you look up there will be 3 10mm nuts holding the airbag in place and a yellow wire from the airbag to a connector on the right hand side. disconnect the battery for 3 mins and disconnect the air bag connector, remove the harness clip attached to the dash and the 3 10mm nuts. the airbag is attached to the upper dash panel and has about 8 clips holding it down. push up from underneath the panel and it will release. remove it and you may find access to the screws behind the panel. although a tight access ratchet screwdriver may be required.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

WOW. Thanks for the detailed instructions :Smile:

I'd personally feel more comfortable not removing the airbag for now :Smile:learner:Smile:

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    so long as you disconnect the battery and wait 3 mins the SRS system is perfectly safe and not complicated to work on. but that's the option you have anyway. but without trying before ime not 100% you can remove the panel without the dash out. there is a crash bar very close to it behind.

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

You have a good point there. if I was able to remove the screws holding the panel in, it would actually come loose behind the dash, and when I just checked, it does feel a little cramped, behind there, so I may not even be able to get the panel out.

Thanks for the advice anyways mate. If anything, I've learnt how to remove the airbag :Smile: