Tyres & Wheels Full sized spare

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FR-V, Friday 22nd Apr, 2016.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I am about to buy a 17" new old stock standard alloy from a Honda dealer on eBay so I can have a full sized spare in my CR-V. This is because I tow a caravan and the bible states the space saver is not suitable for towing. It will fit in the wheel well after removing the padding blocks from the back of the cover, but what do I do about the TPMS? Is there a sender in each wheel, and will I have to get one fitted to the spare?
    Never had these hi tec gizmos before so I am a bit baffled.

Ta, Pete C.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I havent tried myself, but I am sure that a full size wheel will result in the floor being raised - ie, the boot floor will not be level and will rise in the centre. If you can live with that, then go for it.

3. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    If you have a flat on the back, swap with a good one from the front and put the space saver on the front. You will be able to get to a tyre company or limp on from there.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Put the full sized alloy on the floor inside your caravan. Easy to get to in an emergency and put underneath the van when you get to your destination.
    Just remember to retrieve it when you leave.

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    TDK, I have measured the depth of the wheel well and the full size alloy should fit under the cover, but I am going to try one first. The first car I had with a soup plate spare was a Mazda MX5 and I never did work out where you put the flat tyre after putting on the spare if you were carrying a passenger AND luggage.

Crv2014ex, I used to do just that with my caravan spare back in the day when caravan chassis were made of girders and you could load them to the gunwales. Unfortunately modern vans have such pathetic loading allowances that two pairs of knickers and a KitKat overloads it!
    It's decades since I had a puncture (that's tempting fate!) but if one goes on a French motorway in the middle of nowhere I would rather have a proper spare with me.

Pete C.

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex

I believe the TPMS (or DWS as Honda call it) works from the ABS, so as long as you re-set it when you fit the spare it should be OK. I had no problems with it when I fitted my 17" winters with 60 profile tyres instead of the supplied 19" summers with 45 profile tyres. Mind you, since I refitted the standard set it has played up every time I drive over about 40 miles and is difficult to re-set, so I'll mention it when the car goes in for its 1st service in May.

Keith

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't blame you. While I don't do any towing etc, I too would like a full sized spare. But my near-term focus is on procuring the MY15 EX alloy wheels first - if I get a set, then I'll buy a fifth one as the spare. Having said that, the spare in the CR-V is pretty decent, but as you say, it is not suitable for the towing etc. Best-o-luck with the tyre-trial!

FR-V likes this.
  7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's a 3 Inch gap between the wheel and floor board. The board has those supporting blocks doesn't it.? Put your full size wheel into test and try flipping the board over so the supports are facing up. If the wheel is going to fit you'll find out easily enough. I think it might actually fit too. Not that it matters with what I've got planned for mine.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    LPG tank? Nitrous? :Devil:
    Do tell!

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Racy Jace plans to fit a massive bass speaker I believe!

Racy Jace likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunately nothing that sensible. Just going to try and get an amp fitted in there.

20160422_161649.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Boring!

legend-ary likes this.
  12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol I wish I could have that in mine. That's the video i watched that started the urdge to upgrade my stereo. Damn internet!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Getting back on topic. Doesn't the TPMS read the rotation of the wheels? I'm sure there's no sensor in the wheel it self. It was late at night when I browsed the manual.

13. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    That's quite possible, I really haven't a clue how the system works! I did a Google search and got a video of a bloke holding a valve with some sort of device on the inner end, so I presumed there was one in each wheel. I have sent a question to the seller so should find out tomorrow.
    Now trying to find the energy/enthusiasm to take off a wheel and try it after 3 hours of the A1/M180.

Pete C.

14. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    See my post 4 above - AFAIK it works off the ABS.

KEITH

15. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Thanks Keith and Jason, as I said I am clueless with anything on cars after the Morris Minor!
    And after my Sunday lunch there was footy on the telly so I nodded off and the wheel stayed attached.
    Maybe tomorrow :Whistle:

Pete C. :wheelchair:

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My TPMS flashed up when the weather got warmer. The tyre pressure had actually increased by 2psI so I let it down and reset it and it's been fine again.

17. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi All, I tried a normal 18" wheel in place of the 'Get you home' and it fits OK Diam but is too deep and sits proud of the boot floor level (EX 2015 2.2 I-DTEC). Also TPMS works as ABS does by compare wheel rotation speed, which is worked out via the wheel circumference travelling a set distance. If the tyre deflates then the wheel circumference changes, and because you are not actually braking a TPMS warning comes up. When resetting system make sure your tyres are warm ( a couple of miles at least at speed).:sage:

FR-V likes this.
  18. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Lanky, I read your reply after coming in from trying one of my wheels in the spare wheel well. You are spot on, my 17" alloy drops in fine but is about 20mm too wide for the cover to fit flush ( tried it reversed) so would probably fit when punctured!
    Idea now abandoned, I shall let my rescue company work it out if necessary.
    BTW have any of you tried to remove a wheel using the supplied jack? I did, and it slipped off! The ridges on the jack pad are not deep enough to stop it slipping off the narrow jacking point as the car moves sideways while you raise it. Luckily the wheel was still on (no nuts though) and the plastic trims sprang back with no damage (rear wheel). I had chocked the opposite front wheel and had my trolley jack ready but it was still the hell of a shock!
    Time for a cuppa :bigeyed:

Pete C.

19. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I've obviously never tried it, but wouldn't the car remain level on just 3 wheels if the jack did slip/fail? I wouldn't have thought that there was enough weight on any one corner to make it tip towards the unsupported corner.

Keith

20. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Possibly Keith, but you have to raise the car enough to allow the suspension to bottom out and the wheel in question to leave the ground. It was at this final point that the jack popped out and the car dropped trapping the jack under the sill cover.
    I had to consult the bible to find the torque settings for the wheel nuts and the recommended procedure is to slide the spare under the car while jacking. That'll be to catch it when the bloody useless jack slips then!

Pete C