Fuel Efficiency Full tank mpg - part 2, petrol this time

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by i-DSI, Saturday 9th Feb, 2013.

1. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Brimmed her up last evening, 14 kms and came home with 50 MPG (5,6 l/100 km) on the clocks... Took the picture this morning from dashboard.
    Only 1 mile from home I was at 5,3 (53mpg). Should have taken the picture than. Damn.
    DSC_0010.

Last edited: Saturday 9th Feb, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nevermind bud get it next time to get that sort of efficiency in cold temperature is really good... I will get some up on off my car soon.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is the best i can do and it`s all city short driving in 4 days.
    IMAG0607.

4. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Peppyster,
    I know. In summer, MPG goes up a lot. Up to half a liter/100km better it was with my Civic. Looking forward to see some really impressive figures. But I must admit that the driving pleasure with this engine is so nice when revving it up from time to time she never empties the tank with that kind of numbers.
    Do you drive a 2.0 or 2.4 ?

- - - Updated - - -

Mine were all B-roads with light, rather slow traffic yesterday evening. Believe 30 MPG is not that bad for less than 30 miles/4days in city!
    My dad and brother in law drive recent Clio's 1.2. They need 7 l/100 and more because of the short trips they make with those cars.

5. JG' Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd kill for 30mpg! I average 25mpg over a tank typically. All stop start traffic in to and out of Manchester. Was expecting more to be honest, how car companies get away with such over-estimated quoted figures is beyond me.

2.0 Auto.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The quotes car makers give are as a result of unreal testing as prescribed by EU red-tape - thats where the fault lies. The manufacturers aim to please the EU, not the motorist. T'is a sad reality.

7. JG' Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There should be an official test track, could be independantly done like tyre tests. Would be interesting.

twomeyn likes this.
  8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That would put a lot of the red-tape brigade in Brussels out of a job! :Rolf:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I dare not show mine as its not driven economically , but hell I have some fun :vtec: busting pride for bavarian tractors along the way priceless!

Proudly Powered by Honda!:Smile:

10. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was beginning to think i was the only one who drives whilst having some fun as opposed to worrying about consumption. Im around the 20 mark..its just soo tempting to hit the vtech range :Happy:.
    Talking of which, i have come from a VW passat turbo, so the power was always available at the bottom end. Does Revving these engine's in the 3-5000rpm mark, do long term damage?

11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Petrol engines- none whatsoever. They are built to rev. As long as the car is maintained regularly and oil levels are good, then it will be fine.

12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I used to love redlining my NSX's and they go up to 8k :Smile:

13. JG' Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bit hard revving and enjoying the car when I'm sat in bumper to bumper traffic which is what 90% of my miles are :Frown:

I've got a mint late 306gti6 sat on my drive which I've had for 9years and can't part with it. Love driving it in Wales all the lakes but on my commute, wafting in the auto accord Everytime!

Last edited: Friday 15th Feb, 2013
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Honda petrol engines just loved to be revved. As pointed out already if the engine is maintained well then there's no worries revving it once it's warmed.

Don't rev it when it's cold !

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ditto the I-DTEC as well.

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi JG and Darknight,
    What you propose (a testtrack) is not possible. You can't influence the weather, hence everybody would like his car to be tested on a very warm, windstill summerday, no rain, with maybe even high atmospheric pressure.
    What has been set up now is fair enough. It's no more or less than a comparison between different models and brands under known, fully controlled labo circumstances. Same for everybody. It's a good decision of the EU this came into place. Image every country would want his own test to be done? I don't see the point and don't understand your frustration. You can argue that not all drivers can achieve the outcome of this labo test. So what? Nobody ever said it would be easy. It just means you drive a different 'drivecycle' than the one in the test, or you do no drive economical, or circumstances are worser than the labo test.

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I brimmed mine last weekend and this is the result.421 miles on full tank.
    IMAG0611.
    This is 50/50 motorway and city driving.Not even half what TDK get in his diesel.
    Have lot of motorway driving this weekend,see if i can do any better.

18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Euh Zoran, I see 340 miles, not 421. You can't add them up. In such case, mine would now be over 900 km (560 miles). Good half of the tank is emptied. I'm sure I will end somewhere around 800 km (500 miles).

19. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

340 miles driven and 81 till i need to refill again that work out 421.I just brimmed it again.
    For argument sake lets say then 400 miles on full tank if you want to be pedantic.

20. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I had a look a the definition:
    A state of mind which is about caring a lot about formalities, often more than necessary. One may be called pedantic when he/she points out corrections in unimportant details.
    You're right, I was pedantic. Apologies.

Zoran, just kidding by showing this definition. Like it.

Last edited: Friday 22nd Feb, 2013