Fuel Efficiency Full Tank - MPG

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by TheDarkKnight, Wednesday 6th Feb, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brimmed up this morning.

Only a short journey today - 14 miles as you can see (one way) and hit 57mpg. Quite a feat.

Come down a bit now on the 14 mile return journey due to more stop-start traffic but I hope to top the 919 miles from the tank this time!

Last edited: Saturday 6th Dec, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    14 miles of downhill road :telloff:

:Smile:

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You wish. Straight, pot-hole riddled road. Downhill I would expect double that. LOL :Rolf:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

whiteflag2. no contest

5. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Dark Knight

If you recall from my other thread, i'm on the look out for my first 8th Generation and i'll be up for challenging your economic driving skills! :Wink:

How would you describe your driving style and average daily journey (miles per journey)?

Also, do you need to hypermile to achieve these kinds of figures?

Thanks

Bigron

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Sorry, but 14 miles is way to short to be of any value. Take it a couple of 100 miles further and you will be dreaming of those + 919 miles/tank.
    On 14 miles,
    - it might indeed have been downhill (even only 1 to 3% makes a difference)
    - a tailwind
    - good luck with traffic
    - your engine was already warmed up because you first filled the tank and started counting from there? => very important for fuel consumption
    What was your consumption so far for full tank so far?

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Bigron

don't read too much into this image, I knew it woud raise a few eyebrows for the simple fact that I'd topped up the tank and only done a short-ish (one way journey) before I took that picture.

Usually I am on the motorway, not heavy footed to be honest and usually keep under 70mph to get 55-70mpg. Varies of course, depending on traffic and when I get off the motorway etc. My average daily jaunt can vary from between 150-300 miles - this pic was of a very short journey and I know that the MPG now is a about 43MPG.

No downhill at all and of course, this image is not representative of anything, irrespective of miles done. The whole purpose was to show it off and enjoy some light hearted banter :Thumbup:

Engine was warming up but not at ambient temperature, not after that distance. As I've been ill, I havent done much driving so can't tell you what my last full tank was as I didnt keep track of it.

8. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks.

So what do you reckon i can realistically expect to achieve on avg from my 52 mile return (26 each way) jaunt to work each day, all motorway at 65-70mph?

I'm guessing 50mpg, maybe 55mpg in summer when engine warms up quicker?

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Bigroncoleman,
    To give you an idea: not paying attention to fuel consumption, gives me 40 MPG (revving from time to time to 6000 RPM).
    Hypermiling gives me 45 MPG.
    All this on a daily commuting 20 miles one way of which 4 miles on highway, rest B-roads.

Last edited: Wednesday 6th Feb, 2013
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you should easily get over 55mpg but it all depends on how many of those miles are actually on the motorway. Its the miles getting on and off the motorway that will see your figure drop. When I did my 75 mile trip to the airport only 58 were on the motorway but I did get an easy 56mpg.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I get a minimum of 50 MPG on a motorway driving at approximately 70 mph without even considering driving in a fuel efficient manner, and that's out of my I-CTDI. I have seen 67.5 MPG once while trying a super eco drive but it was hard work. The trick is to maintain momentum without using the turbo.

Bigron, if you have a I-DTEC you should easily be able to beat the 50 MPG. If you're used to economic driving getting close to 60 MPG should easily be realistic.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Assumiung your 26 miles comprises of at least 22 or more on a dual carriageway/motorway, theres no reason why you won't see 50+MPG, depending on traffic conditions of course. In the summer of course when the engine needs less time to warm up, I'd expect to see that same journey enjoy a hefty MPG increase. Thats how I got 919 miles out of a tank. :Happy:

13. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replies.

About 23 of the 26miles is all motorway, averaging 60-70mph for 90% of the journey so re-assuring to know i should get 50mpg, if not more.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I should have added the caveat that this is for a manual, not auto BTW :Thumbup:

15. leonmk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Funny that you have posted this thread, I had just been coming home the other night and noticed I was getting higher mileage than usually normal. This photo was taken when I was almost home after a 12 mile journey. So just thought I would post it for the craic!

IMG_1366.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fantastic!

Who needs a silly battery-powered hybrid!

17. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    On a clear motorway run of exactly 100 miles today in the 8th Generation Tourer I had, at one stage, the trip meter since last fill up showing 89, miles to next fill up at 799 and MPG for the journey at 55.2.

On the homeward journey on A roads, up hill and down dale, I ended up at trip 189, miles to next fill up at 543, and total MPG for the day 52.2.

Still some way to go then to threatening your 919!

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good to see your MPG edging upwards.

It will get better as warmer weather ensues as well. I must point out though, that the 919 miles was nearly ALL motorway driving - not really a mix so probably not representative of urban/mixed driving styles, but its still a remarkable feat from such a big diesel engine.

19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anyone else getting higher MPG from their I-DTEC's??

20. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    One query on this - does everyone brim the tank when filling up? So far I have been following the manual's guidelines and filling just to the first click. I am not certain how much more fuel the tank will take beyond this.