Exhaust System Fume smell through vents on engine start

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Roland, Wednesday 14th Jan, 2015.

1. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dear all,

Maybe some of you have faced such kind of problem: when car(I-DTEC) is started in colder weather I can immediately smell "spicy" fumes through vents coming into cabin. It lasts no longer then 10-20s. After it, smell cannot be detected (stopping to red light, stopping/starting engine, driving on high rpms` , nothing). Smell appears randomly, not allways so it`s hard to detect the source. From information I managed to collect it can be: a) manifold b) manifold gasket c) A/C drainage pipe clogge (But manifold was problem for earlier models..)
    Anyone of you have faced something like that? How you solved that?
    PS. diesel should not be a problem as friend has Accord 2.4 petrol and faced same problem.

2. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not being funny, but the only time I experience the smell of fumes on start up is when the wind is blowing the exhaust back under the car. It's just for a few seconds until you start moving. Mine's petrol by the way.

3. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for reply. It`s really hard to describe that smell, it`s not the exaust fume, but something more like burning, spicy strong smell..

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you checked for anything stuck the exhaust pipe ? Plastic bag etc

5. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, looked from the bottom, clean. In addition if something would be stuck or there would be a crack in manifold, I asume it should stink allways? And not it only happens in colder wether on engine start. (car battery is brand new)

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What I-DTEC car do you have, what's the spec, where are you in Europe and year of manufacture please.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    SPICE1.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    ROFL Graham, I would find it hilarious if @Roland actually had one stuck in the vents!

9. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Graham, you are sooooooooooo cruel lol!

10. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It`s Accord part of the forum,right? :Smile: so it`s Accord, EU, CU2 [8gen]..
    lol :Smile: it`s Accord, EU... this part of forum is for accord, right?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Think we got which model it was for mate, the reason @Ichiban was asking where in Europe and the year is to cross-reference with TSBs, they're specifically tied into those variables. That's one of the reasons we have signatures from garage cars so diagnosis becomes easier :Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Roland in your first post you mention I-DTEC now you say its a CU2, CU2 are the 2.4 Petrol saloon, so did you mean CU3? which year was your car made?

13. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, CU3 (mistyped). car 2010.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    FirstHonda likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  16. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's possible that the crack is very fine and when the engine is hot the expanded metal closes it up.

18. Roland Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also have such clue, that initial high preasure bursts out...

In any case, seems nobody has faced something similar.. I will post solution as soon as I will find out anything...

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I also experience some kind of burning smell and had no clue what it was. But now I know for sure: it's the electrical seat heating that can be smelled. Does anyone has the same experience? It's not that worse. Light smell. Not really anoying.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any updates did you get a chance to show this to dealer?