General Funny volts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by worsley, Friday 13th Nov, 2015.

1. worsley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New Zealand graeme Taumarunui
    I bought a digital voltmeter that plugs into a cigarette lighter hole and used it in my Stream so I could watch voltage when driving.Normally the voltage is over 14 but I was surprised to see it drop down to 12 when climbing significant hills with the voltage returning to 14 at the top.I then found that if I turn the headlights on going up a hill the voltage would return to 14.I am looking for an explanation of this situation.
    Auto trans and I do not think engine revs have anything to do with it.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's to do with the car having an ELD (Electrical Load Detector). This little device is able to control the demand on the alternator. So if there is low electrical demand, then it tell the alternator to reduce output, as soon as there is more electrical demand it will tell the alternator to output more.

An alternator saps a lot of energy from the engine, so the ELDs job is to reduce that load whenever it can and thereby improving fuel efficiency.

Nothing to worry about here Sir, all is working as expected.

3. worsley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

New Zealand graeme Taumarunui
    Thanks for that.Something else you can maybe advise me.When I don't use my Stream the battery drops voltage ,up to .1 volts in 24hrs.When I disconnect the battery it holds 12.8 volts for many days.I know modern cars still use the battery when parked but .1volts in 24hrs seems a bit much to me.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like something is draining the battery. You can try to narrow down what is causing the drain by pulling fuses whilst watching the drain on the battery. When you pull the fuse on the circuit causing the drain you'll see a drop in battery drain showing on your multimeter.