Electrical & Lights Gaining Access to Electric Aerial

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Tuesday 18th Mar, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Does anyone know how to gain access to the electric aeriel on the 6th Generation Accord? I would like to check the connections on it to see if its getting power and also anyone know which fuse controls it?>

thanks

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

anteenareplace. Hope this helps mate

Harvey and Ichiban like this.
  3. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Take out the boot lining on that side you may have to remove more than one piece and that should give you access to it. It will be held in by a few poppers if you take care when pulling them out they won't break and you can then re-use them :Smile:. While your at it check to see if it's leaking as they are prone to leak in that area and fill your spare wheel well with water.

Harvey likes this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers guys, hopefully the connector plug has just come undone, ille take a look at it at the weekend.

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good news, of sorts, I've managed to get the trim removed enough to access the aerial, downside, I wasnt able to get the plug off it to see if its getting a power feed. from just turning the radio on and off i don't get any noise from the motor at all, so its power feed and fuse checking, otherwise its a replacement unit, and I'd rather not have one of those nasty universal ones. I'll take a look at it at the weekend though, when I'm in a better mood and more able to get all of the trim out of the way.

6. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If the ariel is the same as what is on the ATR then I have been told that the ariel from a S2000 will fit.

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did see that when I was Googleing my problem, just doesn't look the best.

8. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Haven't seen any pics with the S2000 ariel fitted, I'll have to check it out.

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know it was on google when I saw it, it almost looks like those big rubber ones you can get from Halfords and the likes, just better quality.

10. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just seen it now and your right it doesn't look the best.

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll give it anoother go at the weekend, I know there is an Accord coming into my local scrappy this week, so I'll be there getting bits from it and if I can grab the aerial I will, even if this one works, I'd have a spare.

Rhys likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok, I told a lie there, I had another go tonight.
    Managed to get the plug off the aeriel with a pair of long nose pliers,I'm getting power at the plug, both signal and from the radio. When the connector was plugged back in to the aeriel I heard its built in relay click, but the motor didnt move, so looks like its siezed up. Managed to get the retainer bolt undone with a pair of long nose pliers in the slots and I've pulled the mast up so at least I have radio again.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The set up on yours is very similar to my old 5th Generation.
    If my memory serves me well, remove the cover(s) on the aerial and there is a flexible nylon/plastic rod that the motor pushes/pulls to raise/lower it.
    You should also be able to see the contacts that start/stop the motor.
    Over time, water and dirt build-up corrodes the contacts and or interferes with the smooth operation of the nylon rod.
    A good clean-up and re-greasing may sort it out.
    Also, ensure the drain pipe is clear and not bent.
    Hope that helps.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have a look at taking it appart and cleaning up the motor in the hopes that will fix it.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Make sure that everything moves freely before trying the power.
    Let me know how you get on.

16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well there is good news, and average news. I didn't fix the aerial, I got a complete replacement for £15 delivered, it should be here on Wednesday, downside is I forgot to ask if it was a genuine one, silly me. I hope it is now I've bought it.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£15 for a new one seems pretty good even if it isn't genuine. If you can post a link maybe it'll give us some clues?

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Forgot to say that the guy I got it off, was breaking a 1999 se, however there is a silver saloon in the scrappy I got some bits off, didn't notice if it had an aerial though.

19. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chances are it's genuine then, let us know how the change goes and ask if you need any more tech diagrams.

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will do, thanks.