Off-Topic Garage door

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Sunday 1st May, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I am going to be replacing a rear pedestrian access door to my garage which is totally falling apart. The garage actually stores a car in it (my Accord) rather than just boxes which most people use their garages for so security is a thought, but not a huge one due to where I live.

I was curious what the general consensus would be in relation to what material you guys would use. I wouldn't mind having a door with glass in it so some natural light would come through, but the boss wants no glass.

So, wooden door or metal?

I hate UVPC doors - very easy to break into, so they arent even a consideration. Wooden doors are a lot more secure especially those built from hardwood (oak, cedar etc). Window or no window (double glazed if I do go for a window)

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've got a painted hardwood door at the back of mine. The house is 30 (ish) years old, and the door is still as good as new.

No glass for me - I don't want people looking in (although the only access to that door is from my back garden, but even so). In terms of light, I had six special fluorescent lights professionally fitted a few years ago. They are similar to those found in car showrooms (from a company called Collingdale I think?) and they make cleaning my MINI in the garage a pleasure as you can see every imperfection, then correct...

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I have a hard wood door without window to rear and solid plastic electric door to front (no override button in garage)

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't have a garage door!!!!
    I just have one of these
    image.
    Much better.:Laughing:

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

With my labrador, you are more likely to drown from him licking you than any form of actual protection or physical danger.

Useless as a guard dog - unless he is chasing his own shadow, which he is really good at doing to be fair to him. It still gives the kids hours of amusement on walks however.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I think I've decided anyway - getting a solid door fitted - just need to get it ordered with a new door lining and get it installed.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nothing like a good slobbery lick now and again:bleh:
    And don't be fooled by his exterior, his interior is just about shot, his legs are giving up on him, he's got his kidney problem, deaf as a post, we have to use hand gestures to him now his eyesight is fading the only things that work well is his gob(barking and eating) and his nose he can smell is tea from a thousand paces. But we wouldn't change him for the world.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My Beagle is a great watch dog but terrible guard dog. Did the law change now so that if your dog attacks an intruder inside your house it can be taken away? Can't remember but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Beware of the Dog signs are great though.

MickyB likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

... and why would anyone want to change their dog - dogs are fantastic creatures. So much better than the human race could ever wish to be so. ( I was talking about my dog chasing his own shadow btw.... :Laughing:)

@ArcticFire - if your dog attacks anyone, especially within your home, it will be taken away and very likely destroyed, especially if there are kids involved

MickyB likes this.
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The laws concerning our beloveds are very strict now they can't even show aggressive tendancies when out walking now. So if you are out walking and your dog say barks at another and someone sees it and reports you, they can be taken away and you can be prosecuted.
    I remember some years ago there had been a number of break ins, around where I live and my wife was concerned about way would happen if the dog bit someone whilst inside the property.
    We had a visit from a crime prevention officer and she said if he bit someone whilst they were on your property without your permission the dog could be destroyed BUT the person he had bitten would have to come forward and make a complaint. He would have to have good reason to be on your property her words " well I was just casing the joint" how many thieves would come forward???

10. Nighthawk Guest

Just to correct you on this mate - thats not the case at all, if you have your dog under control, it can bark as much as it likes at someone else :Thumbup:

There is only an issue if its deemed dangerous and out of control (i.e not being on a lead and he attacks someone)

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

May have got my wires crossed I thought it was classed as a nuisance.

12. Nighthawk Guest

If its barking day and night then it could be but it would be a council problem anyway and is incredibly long winded

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know I'm in the process of reporting someone and it's a nightmare. Not going through the council cause the T*** runs a youth club and is up everyone's arse. So I'm looking at the RSPCA as he's got 2 German Shepherds and a bulldog. The shepherds have not been out of the place for over 9 months not even been in his garden, one is kept I an old aviery and the other in a make shift kennel(a shed to be precise) they foul allowed the back patio and he just washes it cow the drains. The dogs bark 24/7 but he's not bothered cause he got burgled 2 years ago and these are his answer to the problem. It's soul destroying cause they are not getting out e doesn't deserve them. The only thing I could find was that they are not living their normal life. Exercising etc. I have to remain anonymous cause he's a T*** and a bit of a lad around the place the last thing I want is him or some of his mates knocking on my door at night when i'm at work and my wife and daughter are alone in the house.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Sorry to hear that @MickyB . It might be worth contacting the council as well as they will have whats called an enviromental health officer who will deal with noise complaints. That will potentially further assist in relation to the rspca if an EHO has a case raised as well

Best of luck

MickyB likes this.
  15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The only problem there is he has friends in the council because of his youth club work. So I can't chance remaining anonymous. I'll get the T*** sorted somehow. Oh and what makes it worse he lets the bulldog out on his belove plastic lawn at the front and the poor shepherds have to sit and Watch it play!!!

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not sure if it's different with Scottish law but even on a lead if a dog is causing distress to a member of public I believe action can be taken against you.

I'm sure if an intruder breaks into your house a dog was allowed to attack on the past but I think the law was changed on this recently? Again it could be a Scottish law thing?

17. Nighthawk Guest

Possibly it is then mate. :Niceone:

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Is there anywhere to find this out for sure, would probably be useful to know?

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have a look later I'm painting a fence at the moment

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Had a wee look myself and I think Scotland has made revisions as to how offences are dealt with but this is the bit that I remember regarding your dog being under control and it would imply that it makes no difference if the dog is on a lead or not, only that if the dog gives cause for alarm etc.

Control of Dogs (Scotland) Act 2010

(3) For the purposes of this Act, a dog is out of control if—
    (a) it is not being kept under control effectively and consistently (by whatever means) by the proper person,
    (b) its behaviour gives rise to—
    (i) alarm, or
    (ii) apprehensiveness,
    on the part of any individual, and
    (c) the individual's alarm or apprehensiveness is, in all the circumstances, reasonable.

(4) The apprehensiveness mentioned in subsection (3)(b)(ii) may be as to (any or all)—
    (a) the individual's own safety,
    (b) the safety of some other person, or
    (c) the safety of an animal other than the dog in question.

MickyB likes this.