Announcement Garage Signatures & Avatar Changes

Discussion in 'Club Announcements & News' started by DeviateDefiant, Thursday 18th Sep, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    We've rolled out a big new feature to further tie our site in with our garage system.

Back in the AOC days, above everyone's signature there was a small place to write some details about whatever car(s) were owned. It was useful as a way of quickly knowing what model other members had when chatting in threads. Having spent the past 6 months since launch slowly building up and tweaking our garage system, and integrating it so heavily into the site - we thought we'd take things one step further and make the whole process automatic.

If you currently have a garage entry, you will see a new item below your signature on each thread showing what car you own, perhaps multiple. The thumbnail image is your chosen "cover image" in the garage, likewise with the prefix, your overall rating from other members is shown and the title and other details are neatly auto-generated from all the sidebar details provided. Hovering over the name (desktop PC/Mac only) will live load a small snippet from the description in the garage, and clicking the generation name will take you to that section in the garage.

There's also a new "Model" option in your garage listing to be more specific about what you own, you can select things like "Accord Tourer", "Accord Coupe" or "Accord Aerodeck" instead of just having the generic Accord name in your signature.

If you own a bike or one of the rarer models we don't currently have default fields for, the name will fallback to your chosen log/garage title chosen.

There's no two ways about saying what a huge custom development job this was, I've been heavily developing the feature with another PHP developer over the past couple of days, and the past 24 hours have been closed testing with the rest of the staff. We're at the initial release right now, and as such, things are a little limited - the signatures are currently all updated once every 24 hours with new information from the garage, though we're hoping to make the feature seamless by updating your garage signature as soon as you update your garage item in the future. Likewise there's no current way or choosing which garage items do or don't display. There could be a few bugs though we've done or best to check through. If the garage signatures clutter threads, we also want to put into place a user option to turn them off like you currently can for all signatures - completely down to individual preference.

Alongside the new garage signatures, I took the opportunity to do some styling tweaks to the member information besides each post - your avatar is now larger, and the overall style has been changed to be a little more modern and bold.

Special thanks to @SpeedyGee and @Chunkylover53 for helping backdate all the garage entries with the new "Model" information.

Hope you guys like it.

2. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    That's a lot of work!
    Well done :Niceone:

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Looking good, I'll need to visit the garage as I've not done so yet.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I can remember editing your car entry to include the new "Model" field, and I thought to myself "I know it's not his daily driver anymore, should I change it?" - then I thought, "nah he'll have to actually use the garage himself then" :Laughing:

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol aye i spotted my Accord as the daily driver

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

This link will take you down the rabbit hole :Whistle:

7. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Well done! I'm sure, like me, the members really appreciate the extremely hard work put in. Many thanks!

Ichiban likes this.
  8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I am noticing that on my Note 2 it can sometimes be a little tricky to follow a conversation if there's lots of small posts. Would putting the handle of each member in bold or something else work to help create more of a distinction between posts?

9. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really like the new features esp the avatars makes things a lot clearer for old eyes like mine, the direct link to the Garage is a plus and a nice touch,all ties in a bit more personal.
    Thanks guys,I know that what looks simple to implement is not always the case,
    Cheers.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Noted mate, I'll be doing another mobile overhaul shortly for the post view, I agree it's quite hard to follow at the moment.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's good though, nice to see on the fly what people are driving whilst browsing the posts.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I agree, it's really useful - my only concern (as always) is clutter. Hopefully we'll get the option in to hide them shortly.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Once again a fantastic addition, Well done that medal is getting bigger and bigger. Hope you've got a big chest to put it on:Thumbup::Hooray::clap:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Superb job guys. It will help everyone knowing what cars we've had/got.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've noticed they are going across instead of down now, definitely better I reckon and less scrolling! lol

16. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I like the larger avatars

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They've always gone across mate, only go downwards on mobile devices, as I mentioned before there's some tweaks to go into place for tablets and mobiles soon as I get a new iPad through.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    lol ah that's what it will be! I switch between the two constantly during the day.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

ETA on the next upgrades for the garage signatures, 2-3 days. The experience will be a lot more seamless once they're automatically updated upon saving changes to your garage item.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Since one has responded that means job done.:Grin: its been seamless.