General Garmin Honda Sat Nav Updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tomwillie, Thursday 25th Feb, 2016.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Neither main Honda dealer who supplied my Civic nor my local Honda dealer knew about updating Honda Garmin Sat Nav system now installed in some Civic, CR-V, HR-V & Jazz models. @Ichiban please correct models if incorrect.
    My local dealer took trouble to find out and the answer is go to https://honda.garmin.com/honda/
    If you go to next page of website you will note that engine may need to be left running for up to an hour for update to take place after USB with update downloaded on it has been plugged into the car. This might pose a problem for dealers if you leave it to them to install updates.
    I am waiting to receive the 16GB USB memory stick to try an update myself. My Car was registered in May 2015 but many speed limits shown by Garmin Sat Nav are incorrect.

2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will be keen to know this as my father owns a 2013 CR-V with navi and I have no idea how to update it.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Harvey

A 2013 CR-V has the older navigation (as in the 8th Generation Accord) so updates are via a new disc rather than a download.

Harvey likes this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh right, I though the early 4th Generation CR-V would have a download like mentioned. Not to worry.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

You are much better off with the older version than Connect IMHO.

Having used both, Connect looks funkier but doesn't do the job as effectively as the previous version. It is slow to respond too, although I believe they have done some software upgrades to make it quicker.

:wheelchair:

Harvey likes this.
  6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Done first update: Plugged USB Memory Stick into car USB port then found home Navigation screen (where Map Shows) did not display Settings but I somehow found them, then Settings>Device>Update Map.
    As per on-line instructions, printed off before starting, then waited for at least one minute before unplugging Memory Stick.
    Opened Garmin Express on PC, plugged Memory Stick into PC & in Garmin Express selected Add Device. Garmin Express will then advise if an update is available, one was so Continued. Advised installation would take about 2hr 35 minutes but in fact total process only took 1hr 15mins including writing to Memory Stick on my 16Mbs download speed.
    Back to car, started engine & Update Maps screen still showing, plugged Memory Stick in & touched Update Maps>Continue. Instructions advise it can take an hour to transfer data from Memory Stick to car but it only took 14 minutes using my Memory Stick: SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Flash Drive with speed up to 130MB/s.
    After map update installation the home Navigation screen now displays Settings, so no need to hunt for it next time.
    Gave email address though Garmin Express so will be advised when next update is available.
    Going on a trip soon so will be able to see how up to date the Speed Limit signs are.
    On longer journeys I always use car navigation systems together with my Garmin Nuvi 760T on which Speed camera database operates.
    NOTE - The Garmin on-line instructions advise to use a Memory Stick with at least 16GB spare capacity, so I bought a 32GB one as due to Operating system etc the rated capacity is never fully available. However, the total memory used is only about 5.5GB thus an "empty" 8GB Memory Stick would suffice but is probably slower than say 16GB or 32GB Memory Sticks which have higher rates of data transfer.
    Latest Maps are: Software Version 3.20; Full Coverage of Europe 2016.0. I have subscribed to Lifetime Maps for my Garmin Nuvi so I expect four map updates a year will be issued for both Car & Nuvi Maps.

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  7. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Can I ask how long it took to copy the files from the car onto your USB stick? I should like to update my maps before my next long trip.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The first stage only took a minute or so & the manual said to wait a minute before removing the memory stick. It would appear that only data relating to map version & registration are copied to the memory stick.

9. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    That's valuable info, thanks!

10. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    On a recent 250 mile trip I found that speed limits on latest Garmin Honda car navigation map update are still not as up to date as those on my Garmin Nuvi 760T. This my be due to fact that I subscribe to Safety Camera updates on the Nuvi which may include keeping up to date with speed limits. I'll enquire of Garmin if this is so & post their reply.

11. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@tomwillie useful posts. Do you know the release date of the 2016 map update?

12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    No but if you follow instructions when you plug memory stick into PC & connect to Garmin Express you will be advised if an update is available. Also, thereafter Garmin Express should advise when future updates are available.

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Recently installed new updates for Garmin Nuvi 760T sat nav so checked for Honda Garmin updates for my Civic navigation system but non available. Garmin site reported all up to date at Software Version 3.20 & Map: Full Coverage of Europe 2016.0

14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Just checked my Garmin Express & been advised there are updates for both my Honda Garmin Sat Nav & my Garmin Nuvi 760T.
    Will update car Honda Sat Nav tomorrow & then advise on latest map version number.

15. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Latest Garmin Maps are now Europe 2017.0 The Software is still Version 3.20.

This update also probably applies to later 4th Generation CR-V's with the Garmin Sat Nav.

Update took 16 minutes to load into Sat Nav while I was on a journey using my 32GB SanDisk micro memory stick.

It would appear that after first update has been done & Garmin folder is on the memory stick used for updates then no need to first plug into car. If Garmin Express advises that update is available then just download latest maps to memory stick then plug into cat to do update.

The download to the memory stick when plugged into pc can take about 1hr 30 minutes with 16Mbs Broadband speed and will depend on write speed to memory stick.

Last edited: Tuesday 22nd Nov, 2016