Off-Topic Gas or log fire

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Friday 31st Jul, 2015.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Completely unrelated to cars, but curious what others thoughts are.

Completing on a new property this month, needs a bit of work being done to it however as I am replacing the floor, I am installing a few luxuries such as running Cat6 cables throughout and terminating them into faceplates etc. There is a fireplace installed in the front room, which at the present time, has a gas fire in its place, however this is not connected up. So, I have two options, if I keep the gas fire, I need to get the piping completed and led to it prior to tiling for obvious reasons. If I bin the gas fire, I need to drop the pipe back down into the floor boards and cap it. For either of these, I am going to have to pay to get it done due to the whole house insurance and legal side of messing around with gas pipes.

Curious what others thoughts would be - rip out the gas fire and reconvert it back to a log fire (no idea if the chimney is open or not), or keep the gas fire.

Personally, I love real fires. What you guys think?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Log fire very cheap to run if you don't mind the cleaning.:focus:

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    We live in an old stone cottage without central heating and use a large (11KW) log burner for heating and I would never want to replace it with a gas stove. BUT we, quite literally, get through absolutely tons of logs through the cold season and I spend a fair bit of time collecting, cutting and stacking logs at this time of year. If you have to pay for your logs, then I reckon it costs more than running a gas stove, even one that uses cylinders not mains.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

Good point @Zebster, loads of forests around where we will be going but I can't very well just go help myself to wood and I don't have much in the way of spare time to collect wood, although it will help the kids earn their pocket money by helping me do so.

My issue is that I love the smell and sight of fire.

5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    typical arsonist!

vincemince, Zebster and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

:focus:

vincemince likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rich I would just comment on the Network cabling you intend to do, firstly network cables plugged into a router or switch and left not connected to an interface do consume power. The early 10GBaseT used up to 25 watts of power per port, with advancement in switches and router technology they have improved but they are grossly inefficient. To make power saving you need to buy high end Cisco Nexus enterprises switches to lower the power consumption to a minuscule 1W per network port.

Household routers and switches are the bottom of the ladder they are as good as leaving old inefficient tungsten bulbs on all the time! They are shockingly bad, so have 4 Ethernet port plugged in all the time you can average 100W of power consumption. So cable the house but always disconnect them at the switch router end otherwise you will see a mega bill appear out of nowhere and you will see a rise every quarter.

If I had my way I would Fibre my entire house, but its mega money.

'Wireless internet router is expensive on standby but is it wise to turn off at night?' - Telegraph

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

Cheers CJ mate for the advice - I was going to only use Cisco IOS switch, possibly a 2600 series as I can get one for virtually nothing from my brother who runs his own security networking business (the one who owns that Aston Martin). As you say, home hubs, routers and switches are pretty poor and generally unmanagable. As I plan to set up my NAS and firewall settings, I would want a manageable IOS switch. It will also give me a chance to put my CCNA into practice which I got a few years ago but never really used.

I will come and twist your brain mate if you don't mind if I get stuck with anything

A fair bit of the cabling is just going to be for bullet proofing, such as running it into the kids room for when they are old enough to have a computer for uni/school work etc and to an area where I plan to extend an extra study onto at a later point. They obviously wouldn't be attached to any switches at this point and just left under the floorboards, but there would still be around 5 devices that would be connected from the outset.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Forget to say, my brother has set me up on his Cisco account so I can download the IOS when I get the switch.... :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    2620 that a HP switch right? http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA3-7117ENW.pdf just check the Electrical characteristics and you can put a ballpark figure on your power consumption or put rules to shut down ports if you have a managed switch . I did my CCNA way back in 1998 did not keep up certification back then its was mega simple now CCNA has so many streams its unreal! ( Security, collaboration, data centres, service providers, video, voice, and wireless)

10. Nighthawk Guest

Cisco Catalyst 2600 Series Switches - Products & Services - Cisco

No longer being made hence why he will throw one my way, however, I just realised, it doesnt have enough RJ45 ports anyway for what I would need it for, Just sent him an email trying to twist his arm to send me a 3000 or 4000 series one instead. :Laughing:

Hopefully he will sort me out with something that will suit my needs. I did my CCNA when I was off for a while as you know about, was thinking of heading into that field, still might actually, largely undecided.

My knowledge level is nowhere near as good as yours, so feel free to chuck any advice my way if you want to. :Thumbup:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't do Networking that much today just datacentre management and one my task is to monitor power consumption and reduce our elecy bills and trace these rouge power hungry devices and kick them out and replace them as soon as. Then there chiller so come winter our aircon unit shut down and these chillers cool our DC and we save £££ in cooling. You can imagine to do that is no easy task we will have meeting on meeting for not a lot gained.. by the time this new power saving device goes in another device has slashed it power draw by 50%

Cisco 2600 Series Routers Hardware Installation Guide - Overview of Cisco 2600 Series Routers [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco these 2600 switches are noisy beast too so get some sound insulation otherwise you will hear it in the night and you will get nudges in the ribs from your misses to kill it.LOL

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

Funny you should mention that, he just emailed me back and said the same thing when I told him where I was installing it (under the stairs) - he is advising a 300 small business series for me, something along these lines https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/p...siness-smart-switches/brochure_c02-610054.pdf

He has hinted at getting this:

Cisco SG300-10SFP 8 Port Managed Desktop Switch - Ebuyer

Im also going to get some LeGrande Cat6 Keystone Connectors as well which pretty much the best Cat 6 connectors on the market. Also made sure that I was going to get a PoE one too.

Anyway, this is miles off topic, but a far more interesting topic, Il have to set up a seperate post when I decide to do this. At the moment, its just preparing the cabling to a central location

Last edited: Friday 31st Jul, 2015
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Log all the way

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

The wife sent me a link via email from work around 20 minutes ago in relation to recommissioning a fireplace, I think she is doing her ever so subtle way of telling me that she wants it to stay a log fire too.

RogerH69 likes this.
  15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I have a log burner and as mentioned earlier, unless you want to pay a fortune for logs, you have to be geared up with a trailer, chain saws, log splitters and the ability to know where is wood available free for the taking. Living well into the countryside and having the time, and the above equipment, plus a large dry storage area means I don't have a problem and there is nothing better on a snowy winters night than being in front of a wood burner. If however you don't have the above, then be prepared to spend one hell of a lot of money on wood.

If you are only occasionally going to use the real fire, then I suppose buying the wood isn't too bad.

As a guide, one of those circa £5 bags of logs you see in DIY stores and garages will on average last about 3 or 4 hours.

Keith

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you intend to DIY it, which is perfectly legal, then I found this website useful for how-to info and also for buying all the necessary bits and pieces when I fitted our current stove into the existing open fireplace... The Stove Fitter's Manual | How to fit a wood burning stove

I used hardiebacker board for the register plate and borrowed tower scaffolding from a local builder to feed down the flexible flue liner. Was far easier than I expected, certainly easier than replacing a pre-facelift diesel Accord fuel filter!

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Log fire all the way, if you need some sources for firewood in the area we go through tons of it :Smile:

I'd go with laying Cat7 as it's shielded as opposed to Cat6 or Cat6a (at least by spec, some older stuff is shielded anyway), I don't like Cisco products as they're renowned for having back doors in them, then to be fair many of the major companies have been caught doing this so you're never really safe.

I have a Netgear ProSAFE 24 managed switch waiting to go in for mine. I need it to set-up VLANs and section of parts of my network properly.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

I was going for cat6e stp. What are the advantages of cat 7 over 6e. I didnt even know they had cat 7 out already.

Im leaning towards log fire too. Spoke to a company earlier who advised me against it as they are inefficient etc, but i still like them

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I have a 100M spool sitting at the house mate.

Cat6e is also shielded like Cat7, Cat7 can just run longer distances before being data degradation. Cat7 will support up to 100gbit in 15 meter stretches, Cat6e I believe is graded to 10gbit.

Practically it'll make zero difference to you between the two, but I'd definitely recommend 7/6E over 5E/6/6A.