General Gasket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Friday 18th Sep, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can anyone recommend the best stuff for sealing a new exhaust manifold gasket? Bloody thing has blown again and as much as I love that petrol smell I'd rather get it fixed proper so want to use some good stuff. Something I can pick up today, ideally either Halfords or Honda Parts.

Cheers

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I used Holts Gun Gum in the past but I don't if there is anything better out there.

Which car is this for ?

3. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    With a new gasket you should not need any sealer I would check the manifold face is flat, you aren't supposed to use any sealer in front of the cat anyway as it can block the cat if it gets in the exhaust. If you must use a sealer you can get exhaust jointing paste which will be better than gun gum Holts make this as well and should be available in halfords.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye I was worried about the CAT so I've avoided any sort of gun gum. Toyota mentioned the same thing. I ended up getting some copper liquid gasket sealant as it will go to 350 degrees C. I never used anything last time but it's started to blow again so going to use it sparingly to help seal any imperfections but will make sure there's no overlaps on the inside part. Not going down the route of a new exhaust manifold just now. It's the wee Yaris.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Got rid of the ticking noise but it's still throaty, checked and still slightly blown. New exhaust manifold needed, too.much rust.

6. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    You may be able to get the manifold skimed so the face is flat cheaper than a new one.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    £280 or so for a new one so picked up a used one for £70 which comes with a new gasket again lol It's an old car so not too worried. Bloody new bolts are going to take over a week though! Need replacing though.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Need Pics:

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You really wanna see my rusty, gun gum covered exhaust manifold? Lol

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    New manifold on and she purrs like a kitten!

Here's the old one

DSC_0373.JPG

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh dear that is a right sorry state isn't it.