Facelift Model Gear Lever Gaiter - part query

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by bijomaru, Saturday 26th Apr, 2014.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    The plastic part that keeps the gaiter attached to the gear knob has broken. I can't seem to find just that one part. Do I have to get the whole component as here (part 18):

B__3740.

It's the bit at the top of part 18 I need. Can I get it on its own at all?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Doesn't look like it bud - I assume its just a bolt which has a screw thread fitting size M10 x 1.5 so maybe you could find one elsewhere and fit it though I'm not certain how that'll pan out.

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

It's not the bolt. It's the plastic that is attached to the gaiter and clips in into the gear knob ring. One of the clips is broken on mine

IMAGE_249.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My mistake - I assume the plastic bit is stuck to the gaiter hence why you can't buy them separately. Maybe the 7th Generation owners will have a better solution then?

Might as well give ebay a shot too if its expensive.

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

It's tied to the gaiter with a tiny cable tie. I've just ordered an aftermarket gaiter with red stitching :Smile:

The part from Honda indeed comes with gaiter and the plastic clip as one, but they are separable parts. If buying just the clip is not possible I'll have to come up with something ... Blue tack? :Smile:

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure you'd want to risk it with blue tack - imagine having to stop suddenly and have to engage gearbox braking and the gear stick just comes off..

Take a look at the Accords breakers have for sale and ask for the clip - doubt it'll cost anything more than a tenner. Then you can cable tie it to your new gaiter.

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Gear stick wouldn't come off as it's screwed on very tightly. This is purely cosmetical as the gaiter now hangs off loosely from the gear knob and you can see a gap. I guess breakers is a good shout. Just need to find one with Accord in Swindon.

Last edited: Sunday 27th Apr, 2014
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh my bad, that makes sense. Maybe you can fix the original clip using araldite and attach it to the new gaiter?

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@bijomaru
    Forgive me if you've already seen this...

Handbrake Adjustment (Tourer) • Honda Karma

The 1st section details how to remove the gear shift knob, which may make your repair/ replacement easier ?
    I believe CJ replaced the cloth cover with leather.

I found also found this for my car on Lings. I think it may be what you're after - Item (3)
    There should be one for your car ?

Gear lever & links  B__3403.

354103SDA003
    (54103-SDA-003)RING£13.16(€15.00)($21.06)001

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Part 3 here is the bit that comes off with the knob and that is intact.
    The gaiter and the plastic ring holding it is not on this diagram.

As for CJ's guide, it's weird. Mine is 6 speed, but it looks like what's described on the 5 speed diagram as part C.

I'm going to look for it at local breakers (not on eBay) and take pics when I repair it.

One thing to clarify, I can get the whole gaiter+plastic ring from Honda, but as I just bought an aftermarket gaiter, I'd only like to buy the plastic bit.

11. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Well I had a quote from 'online breakers catalogue' ... £20 ex vat and delivery ... having a laugh. I can get the gaiter with plastic bit and the whole trim for £20 off ebay.

Well this weekend I will be attempting a fix with some DIY, will see how this pans out

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Let us know how you get on. :Thumbup: