Engine & Gearbox Gear linkage replacement

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by drummatt, Saturday 31st May, 2014.

1. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I have got a gear stick that feels like it's got a lot of play in it and the lower gears are difficult to select, especially 1st.
    I assume you can't change the bushes in the linkage and have to replace the whole thing?
    As there's no linkages pre 2003 on eBay I'm wondering if honda used the same linkage on the 7th Generation models?
    There doesn't seem to be a good aftermarket parts market out there on the internet other than for boy racers.
    Other than that, scrap yard I suppose, I don't fancy remortgaging the house to pay dealership prices.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @drummatt,

I would think they are likely to be different, BUT, if you have a look through the link below for your model, you can note down the part number(s) you're after.
    Then check that against the 7rh gens to see if they are the same.

Lings Honda Parts | Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

Note: To see the Honda part numbers, delete the characters I've highlighted in red, on the diagram you're interested in

_selection_pfk.php?block_01

3. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for the tip Nels

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 31st May, 2014
  4. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah bugger it!
    You can tell I'm new can't you?

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

No worries @drummatt

New ?
    There's nothing wrong with your reply :Wink:

6. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No I just thought I'd typed the reply in the wrong place!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @drummatt have you inspected the car to see if the bushes or linkages worn ?

8. drummatt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it looks like the most play in the linkage is at the gearbox end.
    Being a cheapskate, rather than buy a new linkage, I'm wondering if I could drill out a slightly bigger hole in the middle of the bush, insert a metal/plastic spacer/bush into the hole and refit?
    Maybe put a couple of washers either side to hold the new bush in place..

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham