Electrical & Lights Gear select indicator

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by vygec, Friday 7th Dec, 2012.

1. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there anyway of turning off the indicator light which pops up on the rev meter suggesting to change UP/DOWN gears?
    2009 EX, petrol manual.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In a nutshell it can't as it heavily intergarted into thre cluster and sensors .The shift indicator lamp (SIL) indicates optimal gear shift position in optimal shift timing for better actual fuel consumption and it does really work.

3. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks, i didnt think it could. I'm sure it does a good job for fuel consumption, but im finding it suggests me to change UP from 4th gear when im doing around 35mph?!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will post some technical info how it works and i get into 6th in my 2.4 8th Generation some times at 45MPH ..

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I echo CJ's comment here - can't understand why anyone would want to disable a feature that assists the way you drive and keeps the car running in the way it should. Its a great feature.

6. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not doubting that the feature is good..in theory.
    However, today driving around locally, i noticed it suggested that i changed into 6th gear at 30mph. But i find the power delivery just isnt available doing these sorts of speeds in 6th gear. No offense to the grandads, but i fancy some power available when i need it :Smile:, and doing 30 in 5th or 6th gear just doesnt ensure this.

Having said this, i'm just not sure if this is down to my years of driving around my Passat (which was a 1.8T sport), and the turbo really helped in local driving for the instant power effect. So perhaps it just needs adjusting on my part. Otherwise, i am really enjoying my new car.

7. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Mine annoys me too. I understand some people need a pointer as to when to change gear but I'm not one of them.
    I've got used to it being there now though so I just ignore it if it's on, usually because I've changed down a cog for a big hill that's just about to arrive or because I'm about to nail the throttle to pass someone. In normal driving it's rarely on anyway and I did find it interesting to see when Honda think I ought to change gear for a while.

8. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    I'm a bit sceptical too. If you are going to be driving at a constant speed on the level after changing up, then yes, I agree it makes sense to follow the SIL indication religiously. But if you will need to accelerate again after changing up then I find following the SIL drops you below the peak of the torque curve and you end up having to use a wider throttle opening to achieve the same rate of acceleration. That wider throttle opening doesn't help the economy. I've actually experimented a couple of times on a motorway, accelerating in 5th and 6th from about 50-55 mph (when the SIL on my Type-S diesel will have you change up): you can feel the wider throttle opening and see the instantaneous fuel consumption is higher in 6th than in 5th until you're back up to closer to 2,000 RPM. Keeping the revs up to about 1800/1900 RPM after changing up seemes to me a better compromise. I am certainly very happy with the fuel consumption I am getting now that my engine is run-in: consistently in the range 49-51 MPG with a mix of about 40% 80 mph motorways (I live in France), 50% main roads and 10% city traffic.
    Julian.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys if the light does annoy you get helmet grade plastic stickers and cut it out over the SIL. Note some adhesive will react with the speedo clear plastic so don't be putting insulation tape on it.. it will whiten the plastic and it will spread.

But TBH I don't look dash at all my eyes are on the road :Wink: it my peripheral view which catches the green light.

10. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Exactly - something in your peripheral vision which distracts you from the Tarmac.
    Flashing lights on the dash should be for warning only.... In my humble opinion of course :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I use the SIL in city traffic and tend to ignore it when getting racy. you need to divert your focus off it simple really.