Engine & Gearbox gear stick gaitor

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Thursday 10th Dec, 2015.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

Not sure if this is normal or not, but the collar of the gearstick gaitor is not sitting directly under the gearknob on my car. It is about 1/2" lower and is loose so it can slide up and down. Should it be attached more firmly?

Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think you just need to pull it up against the gearknob, it should clip into place and stay there.

3. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm i did try that. The gearknob itself has a hex nut at its base. The gaitor doesnt appear to go over this. Ill try and post a photo later.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Can you post a picture of it please.

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    This sounds like an after market gear Knob.
    If so it needs to be cable tied on the inside.
    How I did my 8th Generation was take the gater off by taken 4 screws out from inside the central console.pulling the gater off and turned inside out and cable tie.
    Pull back over the correct way and fix back.
    A 15 min job

6. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As far as i know its the standard 6 speed aluminium gear knob. Will take photo later.

7. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No probs Dan
    This is my after market Knob and there is no clip like the OEM one so I cable tied as in my post. image.

8. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here are two picture showing the range of travel that the top collar of the gear gaitor has, which is about 1/2" in total.

It won't come up any more over the hex nut at the base of the gearknob. And there seems to be something under the gaitor that stops it going down further as well, so its just travelling in that half inch range.

4skv12.

4u9uzs.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

^ This is what you need to do @Dan

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

How will a cable tie stop it sliding up and down?

I'm not sure there will be anything to cable tie onto, because that plastic circular collar at the top of the gear gaitor is loose fitting?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Trust us it will work. I did it on @AccordCU2's car and @2.4 8thGen used the same technique.
    Push the gaiter up high as possible and put the cable tie tightly underneath it on the shaft, cut the excess cable tie off. This will stop the gaiter falling down. As it won't drop as the cable tie is underneath it with a tight grip on gear lever.

legend-ary likes this.
  12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee ah I see what you mean now, have the cable tie on the shaft itself. I thought you meant have it wrapped around the gaitor fabric somehow. Thanks I will try it. How do I get the gaitor off, can't see any accessible screws?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to pull the cup holder up first, tug at it from both sides, then I think you need to remove the ash tray, there some screws on that and some screws underneath it that need to be removed. Once that is done you can pull the gaiter along with the plastic suround .

You can then pull that up as high as you can so the gaiter is effectively inverted and then put your cable tie on.

I actually inverted the cable tie and tucked it into self so that it doesn't have any sharp edges poking outwards that would damage the gaiter (a bit hard to explain, which I had a pic of it).

14. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This do look like an after market knob as it don't have the plastic connection bit to connect to the gater.
    Once you remove the gater I took the plastic bit at the top off that was help on by a cable tie.
    Then invert the gater and cable tie it to the shaft turn in the right way and reconnect

15. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone have a picture of the proper Type-S aluminium gearknob part?

16. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Just had a look Dan and yours look like a Genuin Type-S knob but the clip on the gater must be broke.
    Hence if you do as in the thread it will work.The part is number 3 in the photo. image.

17. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah i have part 3 and part 13 as per that drawing and all in place. If there was a clip on the gaitor, there doesnt seem to be anything for it to clip onto?

18. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is how my look like after @SpeedyGee fitted it.
    Try what Speedy and Brett suggested,it should work.
    images-17.

legend-ary likes this.
  19. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Then if you do what was said it will work a treat.
    On my shaft there was a small slot and this is where I cable tied the inner gater to.
    Basically turn the gater inside out,cable tie the material to the shaft with about 5mm over hang then pull gater over shaft to correct way.
    The cable tie will be on the inside then and you won't see it.

20. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will do that thsnks. I just thought there would be a way to fix it properly if there is supposed to be a clip of some kind.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Does the gearknob itself thread on? I want to remove it to polish it up as its scuffed. Very fine paint brush to repaint in the red numbers?