Engine & Gearbox Gearbox makes a kind of noise when changing D -R - P

Discussion in '3rd Generation (1986-1989)' started by smilegr8, Monday 6th May, 2013.

1. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

as I mentioned in my other posts - I bought recently an accord 1987 auto - it drives well enough for its age , however I noticed that it has a kind of "knock" "noise" when changing from P to R or viceversa .

Is that normal for its age or is it the first sign of a major transmission problem ?

Shoul I go to a honda garage for a diagnostic - or any other garages will be ok ?!

PS: I haven't check the transmission fluid as I m not sure how

- - - Updated - - -

do you think It might be a good idea to buy another accord (luckily still some on the market) to keep for the future spares ? as I am not looking to get rid of my accord soon - I hope to keep it forever lol

2. chris167 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hull
    when the car is upto temp turn it off and check the auto fluid dip-stick (it will be down the passenger side somewhere under the bonnet) it should be in the crossed area of the stick.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I've got a manual saloon if you want another for the right price, its my daily at the moment but i wouldn't mind using my coupe as i do miss it :Smile:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When was the last time the tranny oil was changes ? All noises are attributed to dirty oil in auto boxes.
    So what the D-R-P for on an manual box as per the heading for ?

4. chris167 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hull
  5. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no nothing to do with manual - it is a auto : ) and I don't know when the oil has been changed .

After a quick search I found that the best oil is Honda ATF ? Honda ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid [0826899901HE]

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So let rephrase your question now we now it a Manual gearbox what is that you can't do ? Sorry find Haynes manual grossly inadequate but I have all Honda workshop manuals which make me slightly biased to 3rd party workshop manuals for Honda.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Confused manual or auto :Unknown::Unknown:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    CJ, Smilegr8 started the thread, he has an auto with some noise issues changing between D - R - P

Chris167 chipped in and said I've got a manual Accord if you want to buy it .

I think you read that as the original poster saying I've got a manual Accord.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Drr :Smile:

10. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

can you recommend me a workshop manual which will fully cover my 1987 accord pls ? give me a link if possible.

I found on ebay few however they are for 1990 + modls

11. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Change the gearbox oil and also get the filter changed too which maybe a bigger job it was on the only auto car I have owned as the sump had to come off the box to get to the filter but it made one hell of a difference so much smoother on gear changes.

12. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks Dave - spoke to a friend this eve and he said the same . He also said better to take it to a garage (obviously I will ) . I am just worried - cos if is so tricky to change that filter - the mechanic may say that he changed it just to save him the time . lol

It happened las year to a friend of mine with some routine services .

- - - Updated - - -

found the manual on a russian website - it is a PDF file - im gonna print it trrow shhh : )

http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual/62se320.pdf

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Iurie make sure you take pictures and do a DIY thread on it and enter DIY of the Month http://hondakarma.com/threads/5053/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  14. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

any chances can somebody helm to find a filter online please ? an auto transmission filter - I found in the USA only - but is not for an EXI - they have for LX LXI - are they the same models ? it might not fit mine ... : (

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Iurie, why don't you get a Honda OEM one. Call Holdcroft Honda, you'll get club discount and free delivery.

16. chris167 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hull
    He asked if it was a good idea to buy another accord for spares, thats why i offered him one of mine. This is no dig at the fellow who started the thread but he is here asking questions regarding solving problems. A haynes manual is adequate enough for a novice working around a car (thats the impression he gave of his abilitity and i may be wrong)

I THINK the part you need from honda is 25420-PN6-700. Its the strainer in the torque converter housing.

Last edited: Tuesday 7th May, 2013
  17. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Chris - thank you for your help . Could you please explain me - is the auto transmission filter called strainer ? or they are two different things ? Also - if this filter has to be replaced - and cos case has to be opened / split - then I also need a gasket ?

what year is your accord - is it same as mine 1987 exi ?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry what is OEM :Smile: P) - And how to qualify for club discount ? do I have to sign up somewhere at Holdcroft Honda ?

- - - Updated - - -

__________________________________________________________________________________________

I emailed this honda garage http://www.tridenthonda.co.uk/

and they are happy to inspect the transmission - just to confirm booking . Shall I ask them if they ve got these parts or can get them for me ? if so exactly what parts shall I ask for ? Transmission filter and strainer plus gasket ?

I may order from usa as I found them quite cheap

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer. So I was suggesting you get a Honda original part.

To get club discount, just call Holdcroft Honda and tell them your an AOC member. They may ask for your username to confirm.