Engine & Gearbox Gearbox whine on 8th Generation petrol cars

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 19th Nov, 2012.

?

Does your 8th Generation petrol gearbox whine ?

Poll closed Tuesday 19th Nov, 2013.
  1. Yes

55.6%
  2. No

44.4%
  1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Guys,

I have had my 2.4 Accord for a few months and have covered 4500 miles and one thing really annoys me is the gearbox whine in top gear under acceleration between 45-50 MPH. This whine is generally heard on high mileage cars where the mainshaft bearing are worn or the synchro dogs are showing signs of wear.

Normally this sort of noise come on badly maintained cars around 150K miles with no transmission oil changes. We all know the 8th Generation come with SIL (Shift Indicator Lamp) this tell you to shift up or down based on the engine road and road gradient if you were to follow this to the book you will hear the whine guaranteed..

For example.

if you were at 45 MPH in 6th gear and under slight acceleration you will hear this whine,under deceleration you will not hear it ,drop it to 5th gear you will still hear it under the same circumstances. On my 7th Generation there is no whine at all under the same conditions and speed infact that gearbox is noiseless and refined and that covered 75k miles. Please note this is a low speed whine at motorway speeds this sound is not there and its very quite and refined as any other Accord.

Can I request all 8th Generation petrol owners to test their cars under the same scenario and report back.

All is not bad with the 8th Generation box I love the short shift gate as standard, the gears are longer and ratios are superb for a torquey drive and the final drive make high speed cruising a breeze and shows the 7th Generation some real speed...it this annoying whine at low speeds which ruins the quietness of the car.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have noticed this in Zorans car a few time and dismissed it as normal but this should not be happening after all this is a Honda.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I did notice this and told you and you said its normal,never thought much about it after I spoke to you.
    Should i get it checked out as I only have few days warranty left.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes you should have it looked at ASAP. I recall that conversation with you and on hindsight we should have persisted with it,now that I have extensively tested it this is not normal for a gearbox .

My car is brand new yours has had more miles than me so it not age we know that.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will have to sort something this week then.
    Problem is I can't take any time off soon,not really what I wanted to hear.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am in the same boat no time but no warranty deadline looming for me thou, you need to act fast.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Booked for Wednesday

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    good may see when I can get there.

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    2 questions:
    - Is this only for the 2.4 ?
    - Why should following the SIL indication lead to this? I can imagine it's not benificial at all for the engine bearings to follow SIL in combination with a high load. But followig SIL with a warmed up engine + correct quality engine oil + low or moderate load should not be harmfull a all. Not for engine, not for gearbox. It's a question of revving your engine up to healthy level, I agree on that. This means shifting down whenever you push that right hand pedal. I believe it's even in the manual not to follow the SIL indication whenever you need accelleration.
    I drive my Civic I-DSI always around 1500 RPM when I go with the morning traffic flow. Sure, whenever I need power, I rev it up, and only after shifting down to 2 gears, I push the pedal down.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just wondering if Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF would make any difference to this.

Only one way to find out.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You are right with the fact the engine and gearbox temperature should be at normal operating temprature. However the gearbox should not make that noise (irrespective) of the engine speed when the engine is warm. As for the SIL it was designed by Honda and their research into new features is second to none so they would have tested this to the endeth degree so it will be capable of running at top gear at 40 MPH. The 7th Generation manages without the noise but it does give you hints that your are straining which you never get on the 8th Generation.

I have owned over 10-12 Honda over my time and NONE of them have this peculiar noise,even my 1st Generation Accord doesn't so why does the latest greatest Accord which is supposed top of the Accord Pyramid.

Its difficult to say if this only affects the 2.4 unless other members come forward.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes we will have to try that as a possibility.:Thumbup: