Engine & Gearbox Genuine bits

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mrjolly, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone know what Holdcroft are charging for ctdi engine oil at the mo ? can get off the net 4l for £43 quid ish delivered
    also need powersteering fluid, is there a alternative to genuine?
    regards Sid.

2. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have a look at this mate Lubetech Shop • Honda Karma I buy the 25 litre drum of 0w30 it will do 4 oil changes there is usually an offer code for some discount as well so will work out under £25 per oil change.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 1st Sep, 2014
  3. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have used Lubetech also and i think alot of AOC members do. Good quality oil and they are very helpful. I actually get it shipped to Ireland. If you plan regular services at 6000mls (as recommended here) it can become a expensive using the big brand name oils.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 1st Sep, 2014
  4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    You have same engine as me and i have used Lubetec for well over a year. U buy 25 liters a go and save a fortune. The oil is perfect were it not i wouldn't gave entertained using it. Still get all my filters front HH and change my oil every 4k 5k max.. That was only once though rig Tony great guy very helpful I now get most of the family's oil from him.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sid I you wan the discount code for lubetech drop me a pm

6. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What oil do lubetech supply? Or is it their own brand?...
    I hear a few on this forum saying its good quality , don't want to start an argument but compared to what? I can get any oil at trade prices as i have accounts with several motor factors but my limited experience with this glass engined honda makes me lean towards genuine and stuff the price. It seems honda have endeavered to make it difficult to maintain this car on a budget without risks....
    From what i can gather short service intervals are a must if you don't want engine chains to fail, poor design of auxilliary belt setup will cause alternators to die, poor design of exhaust manifold will choke you in the cabin, what did i read about the injectors/ management system causing incorrect fueling causing more danger to timing chains, then even main dealers destroying injectors during removal, oh and the clutch wearing prematurely....

My previous run around was a 1997 audi tdi 110bhp , i wound it up to circa 180 BHP , 120,000 on the clock still on origional clutch , i did maintain it regularly but i by no means baby'd it.
    I gave that car hell for the last 6 years and it has been bomb proof, never let me down, i have lent it to all sorts of idiots who didnt know diesels could be quick to thrash and its still on my drive in case my lovely ' reliable ' honda lets me down.
    Sorry about the rant honda lovers but i needed to get that off my chest, it has been building as i have now come to terms with the fact my chains will need replacing....
    The electric boot is v cool though!!!! Lol
    Anyone got a price for gen oil?
    Regards. Sid

7. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

They are an Exol lubricants distributor. I also think that some of they products are approved by ford and VW...
    http://www.lubetechshop.co.uk
    Maybe check out the website or give them a buzz. I also think there are. a number of threads on oil selection on here.

8. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh, its just cheap generic 4 quid a litre oil then. Was hoping for some evidence of to back up the recomendations, ill see what i can get trade then, but then again i may still pay for Honda genuine oil, or am i just being paranoid....
    Has it been established that non gen 0w30 fully synthetic is OK then . I may be a bit pedantic here , my opinion would normally be oil is oil , but i gather most Hondas get serviced at the dealers for the first 7 years till the warranty expires ( as was mine ) so most will only have had a few years of non genuine consumables through them . I would like a bit more evidence for peace of mind that cheaper oil won't exsasibate any of the known issues. I've heard non genuine PSF will kill rack seals etc and wandered if there could be a theme ....
    I would appreciate any feedback ...
    regards Sid.

9. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perhaps just stick with the castrol edge if you feel more assured of its quality . I think the guys at Exol will supply their data sheets on request . May be interesting to see what differences are in related to performance . Do they adhere to the same standards etc ..(SAE technical standards etc) Most of the Honda owners sites seem to have positive feedback as far as I can see. If your getting a discount also it may mitigate the savings perhaps.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If you look at the 0w30 oil on lubetech's site the specs on it are some of the best. It's a lot better than the bottom of the barrel rubbish you'll buy for £4 a litre from a trader. The quality of the oil is on a par with oil which cost approx £45 for 4 litres retail. But as lubetech sell it in bulk, and don't pay for marketing or advertising, they can afford to sell it for a lot less.

Look at the specs on oil when you go buy it, you'll soon realise there's a lot of difference between them. If you use cheap oil not up to spec, or the wrong grade, then you kind of know what you should expect to happen.

It's important to use 0w30 on the I-CTDI engines.

11. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will stand down a bit here , i had a ring around all my accounts today and £4 a litre is a chuffing good price!. I got quoted up to £9.50 a litre trade! , one factor would only supply me 5w30 for my diesel engine, nearly had an argument with the guy, but he said his system didn't show a 0w30 for the cdti. Scary stuff if it is so critical for these engines, most garages would just ring up with the car reg to order the service stuff and you would get 5w30 poured in your engine.
    anyways , i think lubetech have a new customer!!!