Engine & Gearbox Genuine Fuel Filter & P1237 DTC

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dl0205, Wednesday 21st Mar, 2012.

1. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Buongiorno friends

Had 6th year / 75k service carried out today with all genuine filters and fluids purchased from Holdcroft Honda. When I collected the car and drove home the car was very sluggish and unresponsive and when I tried to push the car above 3000 RPM the EML came on. My initial thought was the fuel filter (even though it's a genuine Denso filter). When I got home I used my OBDII reader and the fault code was P1237 which is Low Turbo Pressure. Having returned the car to the Honda service agent, they put it on the HDS and it confirmed the same code.

I spoke to the mechanic about the fuel filter and he wasn't convinced that was the problem as the HDS showed P1237. I mentioned that if the filter is not fitted properly this can cause problems. He then stated that he had done lots of these and had never had a problem, he also stated that the fuel filter was self bleeding so no air should be in the system.

He does agree that the fuel filter should be replaced to see if this cures the problem as it seems like an extremely bad coincidence that the problem was only there after the service (they are going to replace it at cost to them, which I thought was quite reasonable as they did supply the parts).

The only other thing it could be is the IMRC solenoid valve which in the past I have had a P2004 error code but no problems with the cars drive ability, but I'm not convinced it is this or the EGR Valve as again this would be extremely coincidental.

Your thoughts and advice would be most welcome before I return to the garage tomorrow just in case I've overlooked something.

Cheers chaps

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi,

Troubleshooting DTC P1237 can be a tricky one , since you had your car recently serviced check this guide out.

Damage to any of these small vacuum electrovalves can give the above DTC code with symptoms of turbo and EGR issues. Secondly ensure the air filter lid at the back is securely sealed , if that is not sealed correctly it causes an imbalance.

Report back with your finding and tell us how the car is behaving in the meantime then we can take it to the next level.

3. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Hi CJ only just got your message.
    Having taken the car back to the garage they replaced the fuel filter for another genuine denso filter, but as soon as I left the garage the car was still not right. I discussed with the mechanic what the next coarse of action should be and we both agreed that it is probably the Turbo Control Solenoid. So I left this garage and had to take the car for an MOT and cleared the DTC just before (thankfully the car passed with flying colours).

So this afternoon I've gone through several different scenarios which have included running the car with the MAF sensor disconnected and the IMRC solenoid disconnected these throwing there respective DTC's but not curing the issue. The final step I took was to swap the the Turbo Control Solenoid with the EGR Control Solenoid to see if the EGR would throw a code which low and behold it did, a P1401 to be more specific. The car was in limp home mode but after a few attempts at clearing the code I managed to take the car for a short squirt up the run with the engine / turbo responding as normal. So this would lead me to believe the Turbo Control Solenoid is the cause of my problems unless you have any different ideas.
    There is a possibility that this was damaged during the fuel filter change but I have no way of proving this. The mechanic did say that these sometimes leak so smothered it with sealant to see if that would help but it didn't. He also stated that he didn't take the engine cover off when servicing the car but when I took the cover off to work on the car this afternoon one of the nuts for the cover had been cross threaded! Anyway I'll call the garage again in the morning to see if they can help with regards to the solenoid, failing that can you PM me the Holdcroft Honda discount code so I can order from them.
    Hope you agree with my diagnosis, if not it's back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Thursday 22nd Mar, 2012
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why did you change the fuel filter again?

The guy who told you to do so needs shooting,the Honda technician has already and correctly told you the Denso filter are self priming the older Bosch fuel filter needed bleeding !! You don't get issues with a Denso filter that one of the reason why they ditched Bosch in the first place. Agreeing in a chorus does not mean it is the fuel filter.!!! :Wink:

But you have changed it no point crying over spilt milk , as for the Turbo Control Solenoid being damaged whilst servicing the car are low since the technician did not removed the acoustic cover, or its just failed during service and the timing is unfortunate.

You have a good technician there I would agree with his assessment and would take his lead first , as for HH there is no discount code you will see it in the HH section.

5. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    You can probably guess where that advice can from, but I have to admit that it did cross my mind as it was the only item service that could have caused it. In face of the evidence I think you're right that it was a coincidence that the solenoid went whilst the service was carried out.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    EVR valve ordered from Holdcroft and should be with me Monday

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes, I wondered what you must have thought when you were told it was "100% certain" to be the fuel filter, and then found the fault was still there after changing it :Whistle:

9. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    I was hoping it would be the fuel filter as there was some logic to it seeing that it had just been changed. But as you can imagine I wasn't best pleased when second fuel filter didn't cure it. Can't think what I'll do if the new EVR valve does fix it.:Angry:

10. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Still on the bright side I now have a spare fuel filter.:Wink:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Every little helps and all

12. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Well having fitted a new EVR Valve the problem would appear to be sorted.:Grin:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  14. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Great news...you've found yourself a very good mechanic there by the sound of it.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes please do mention the dealer, reading between the lines he knew his diesel onions and we need a database of reliable dealers.

16. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    In fairness he seemed pretty knowledgeable but it was only through my fault finding that actually confirmed it was the EVR valve. The garage that I used is Hidsons in Rainham, they used to be a Honda dealer but they are only an approved service agent now and this won't be for much longer as Honda are pulling the plug on that as well (The mechanic last went on a Honda training course 2 years ago). I wouldn't recommend them as the customer service isn't that great and I've had issues on the 2 occasions my car has been in there. (Now found a dent in the top of the offside wing, in addition to the EVR valve failing). Last time out they over filled the oil by about a litre and assured me 0w - 30 had gone in went in fact 10w - 40 had been put in (that was changed immediately). That's why I supplied everything for this service.
    Still you live and learn

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Umm the old relics or the bottom of barrel i.e franchise who have developed bad habits and are now on an extended gardening leave before total termination. For the record a score of Honda franchised dealers have been showing trends of poor overall performance in the core three area of Sales, Aftersales and Parts.

Since the beginning of the recession Honda embarked on project to address and putting special measures on such dealers. Honda analyses all dealer on CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) and customer speakback surveys which are independently carried out every day across the UK daily.! It’s this customer feedback reports and other trends which are taken by Honda as gospel and they have measures in place to address these reoccurring issues.
    These dealers are examined to the great detail and gently coached to improve with ample of time to resolve and see a marked improvement in their service, Honda does assist and does one to one hand holding too . The reality is these targets are seen unachievable if you have a bad practices bedded into the staff and it a grudge match. These dealers go say Honda don’t sell anyway and they don’t make us money so hell with it.
    All Honda dealers have to empathic to customers need irrespective what a personal belief may be and if they are seen to be indifferent this come to haunt them eventually. The problem lies with these franchise chains have different manufacturers under their name; none of other manufacturers have such a rigorous and regimented approach to customer care as Honda. It this conflict of what the franchise management wants with the needs of profit and what Honda wants which causes the friction.
    In a nut shell I would say the Honda franchise are vastly improved and I would suggest members to stop using such outlets on a view to total closure.

The atmosphere in such dealership is of resentment and bitterness and it delaying the inevitable