Guides Genuine Honda Accord Door Step Garnish

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Saturday 4th Aug, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Today it was a warm and temperatures being ideal for adhesive tape to adhere quickly.I seized the opportunity to get this in the bag.

This is a speed DIY method also attached is the Honda instructions which are superb.Honda makes the best instruction in the world for accessories .

The Italian made door step garnish in the Box.
    photo(1).

A quick read of the Instructions see attached PDF.

First step to remove the stock black door step garnish, it a simple gentle pull and remove.

View attachment Door Step Garnish.pdf

photo(3).

Removed

photo(2).

Using the 3M surface prep wet wipe, clean the contact area thoroughly taking your time You have two 3M wet wipes in the kit use one for the front and one for the back.

photo(24).

photo(4).

As per the instructions mock up your distances, double check everything before peeling the backing to the adhesive strips.

photo(6).

Once you are happy peel the corners off and follow the instructions as per the PDF .

photo(5).

photo(10).

photo(7).

Using the palms of your hands ensure proper adhesion. I maintained contact pressure for three minutes. All step garnish have set correctly with no high spots and I cannot see any accidental lifts.:Smile:

photo(8).

Remove the masking tape give the entire area a wipe and admire your new door step garnish.

ann_kelvin and FirstHonda like this.
  2. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very nice. Good write up

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Tally Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the tip! I didn't even think of taking advantage of a hot day, when it comes to adhesives. I almost always have an issue with sticking something on crookedly. And then I tear or damage it, trying to pull it to straighten it out.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would like illuminated ones but they are ridiculously expensive,might buy these instead.
    They look really good.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks bud.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would have bought the illuminated one if all four garnish were lit, they are expensive for just the front two. I personally don't think they look that spectacular. The minilmisltic look is the way forward.:Thumbup:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It all about planing as they say ..:Whistle:With the climate we have in the UK you have to wait for your chance, you could use hot air gun at a distance to warm up contact area or the strips but its still not good enough .What you want is stable ambient temperature and one the reasons why doubleside tape and adhesive strips are renowned to lose contact.

8. Thom of Maine Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I like the look of that a lot.....I can tell already this club is going to make a dent in my wallet! :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  9. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ditto, although I might wait to next year now when things get hotter...or more likely wetter....Really useful thread thanks.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Glad you liked it bud, I just hate doing jobs which have been done incorrectly it wind me up no end.

My Moto Do it once but do it correctly no matter how hard it may be.:Wink:

11. bassaholic Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put these on my car a few weeks back and nearly learnt the hard way just how sticky the garnsih tabs are at the bottom!

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Have just bought some of these from Holdcroft Honda...should get them soon.

Not a great DIY expert, but hope this excellent guide will make sure I don't make a mess of it!!

Wish me luck...

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good luck :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will be fine line up everything before you pull the clear strips to the adhesive stickers and pull strips from the corners.