Service & Maintenance Genuine Honda fuel filter doesn't fit - apparently

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Thursday 5th Jun, 2014.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi all

My car is getting a service and new fuel filter today and the garage have phoned to say the genuine Honda filter supplied by myself doesn't fit - the threads are different.

My car is a late 2006 and requires the short, stubby filter not the longer one. The garage have ordered a non-genuine one and it is identical to the one taken off the car - including threads This non-genuine part is also short and stubby.

I'm very confused by this because as it stands only a non-genuine filter fits my car. Can anyone shed any light?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I take it this is a diesel car, and where was this genuine part purchased from bud do you have part numbers and pictures please.

3. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    honda fuel filter.

Purchased from Holdcroft Honda. Yeah, it's a diesel.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    its next to near impossible fo Honda to ship out wrong parts provided the correct car VIN number was input. I have never seen it happen, Unless the garage have damaged something and tell you a set of porkies.

That picture I take it is off HH website is that the same part number on the outer casing?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can confirm the correct part number for the denso filter is 16901-RJL-E01 check the filter when you pick up the car.. There is no reason why it won't fit unless the garage wanted you beleive there is an issue so they can source the part and skim a liitle earning for themselevs too. Bring your own part to a garage well its no extra monies to be made for them.. :Baseballbat:

6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I understand what you're saying about the garage not making much money if customers source the parts themselves.

I've been using these guys for 16 years though so I'd be surprised if they started that sort of stuff now.

I've got the filter back and can confirm it is the correct part - it just didn't fit. Very strange.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very odd :Unknown:

Could a previous owner have changed anything?

8. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    They didn't mention the fuel pipes but what they did say was the genuine fuel filter was a tight squeeze to get it in to position when they tried fitting it - the cylinder has some scrapes on the outside now.

The non-genuine part slotted in no bother.............

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've not done a Denso (FL) one, but here is a write up by another member.

Fuel Filter Change (Facelift Diesel) • Honda Karma

Do they mean the thread in the filter to the 'top' unit where the fuel pipes connect?
    Cannot understand why the threads are different, unless they changed that too, and it's different to the original ?

10. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That is really strange. I have never heard anything like that before.
    I too got a garage to fit the fuel filter for me on my facelift diesel as I didn't have the tools let alone a work bench with a vice to hold the filter assembly in place so I got a garage to do it.
    The only garage I trust is PAW (performance autoworks) in Fairford Gloucestershire.
    I bought the fuel filter from Coxmotorparts and it fitted perfectly with no issues.
    I too confirm that is the correct part number.

Have you had a look at the threads on the filter? any damage?
    It could be a manufacturing defect on the OEM filter but I cannot believe that would be true