General German Cars Among Worst For Engine Failures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDarkKnight, Friday 18th Jan, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Last edited: Friday 18th Jan, 2013
    FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: German cars 'among worst for engine failures

Nothing new then.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: German cars 'among worst for engine failures

Not strictly true. We have to consider the possibility that those folk who (sadly) own/drive such auto's from Deutschland will be bitterely disappointed to know that their vehicles are overpriced-disasters-on-wheels.

Reminds me, saw a brand new BMW M5 on the hard shoulder of the M40 the other day, smoking away from its engine bay. Quality car. Not. The owner didnt look too pleased...needless to say. #BMWFail

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Amazing...it can only be so long before more people start to take notice of this type of publicity? Can't it? PLEASE!!!:Foolish:

My last VW had a complete auto gearbox failure after 40k miles, and JUST before the 3 year warranty expired. Only then did I discover that it wasn't such an unusual thing to happen...

...which is why I now drive a Honda! :Happy:

Ichiban likes this.
  5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

This sort of thread makes me think of people on forums who proclaim German cars to be superior to Hondas...and pity such utter foolishness.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Having seen engine production at Honda factories majority of the owners don't even know the lengths Honda goes to make engine.

Words can't put it into perspective as your jaw is dropped all through the stage. The technical proficiency,skill and speed these engine are made is nothing short of perfection.

Swindon plant has a good system but the Japanese were in a different galaxy the entire shop floor would put hospitals to shame the humidity and temperature is closely monitored .That why I have always insisted people to buy Japanese and petrol.

I haven't seen Diesel Honda being made as they were not the scene when I used to be there.

Have a look at Honda perfection and the attention to detail whilst making the S2000. Look at the technical making the hard top the level of accuracy their hand movement tell you the level of their calibre. Honda poetry in motion I wish everyone could see the joy of Honda manufacturing its spiritual moves you.

Sorry for the clip has vital bits blurred as Honda are very protective about few of their techniques

ACC-CDI-2T and bobbybliss like this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would vouch that one Honda engine failure was due to oil starvation or just being a diesel .

Motorcycle factory :Hooray:

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My time with German cars was a eye opener,I was a Audi reporting tech back in the 90s,one of I think only 16 then in the uk and was privileged to certain knowledge, boy what a mess, the set up was great very keen team,love the cars to drive and the styling, but the mechanics were a nightmare .one of my worst encounters was a engine sump leak on a batch of engines that when I striped the sump off for replacing the pan gasket was surprised to see a multi layer steel gasket used between the alloy sump and block? When contacting technical later they informed me that these cars were part of a experiment with this set up, yep something like 15000 cars sold to customers and out there as test cars, needless to say it was replaced with a compound one and the experiment was not deemed a success , this sort of thing going on all the time , some new cars without the piston oil control rings fitted, oil pump changes while the cars were in for a service so customers would be none the wiser as we're not told, constant failings and mods, no end of recalls ,German engineering don,t make me laugh, strange how people are fooled,must say though their warranty was good and never a problem.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I remember when the 3rd Generation Golf was launched, a lot of the first ones had no paint on the bottom of the doors, so rusted within a year.

Expect its all those BMW diesels eating their manifold flaps and blowing turbos.

10. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Back in 2006 I worked (for a very short time) as a sales exec for a VW dealership and obviously had access to the workshops. I could not get over how many Golf cars were on the ramps MINUS their engines. These were cars that were less than 12 months old!! I asked the technicians why they were in this condition but as a "new boy" to the dealership they shied away from giving me a straight answer. Although I managed to do well on the sales of these vehicles it did make me me feel a little uneasy selling cars which obviously were not as reliable as their reputations would suggest. Fortunately I retained my 52 reg accord (locked up in mint condition) and was very happy to climb into it when I chucked in the sales exec job. It certainly put me off VW cars.
    Regards
    Mike c

SayamaAccord likes this.
  11. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    ... but VW offers an very advantageous feature - Broken engines are quick & easy to replace without tools !! :Laughing::

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The rope was superimposed....

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you saying the engine just fell out ?? LOL

Ichiban likes this.
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye :Wink: Would it surprise you? Lol

15. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That was the best thing that ever happened to that Golf....oh no, I lie, hang on, its not yet on fire. THAT will be the best thing for it. I wonder what they tied it to?

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

A Dandelion :lol:

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Someone at my local BMW dealer told me they always keep a 2.0 diesel engine in stock!

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Just the one ?? :Grin:

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    A spare shitty 2.0 engine and some M badges is all they need to keep in stock, considering 99% of BMW are specced with the 2.0 engines and M sport badges everywhere.