Off-Topic German Engineering vs Japanese Engineering

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 3rd Aug, 2013.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not cars but Cordless Hammer drills.

I've been using a cheapo 12V cordless hammer drill for quite some time now but the charge goes fast these days and now the chuck area is making funny sounds like it's about to give up. Was in B&Q getting some new hinges for the back gate and thought I'd grab a new drill.

I'd noticed a nice 18V Hitachi DV18DCL2 with x2 Li-Ion batteries etc. Was very tempted but checked out reviews online with my phone and I read that it was a little short on oomph - perhaps it's max torque wasn't as high as the other 18V drills. There was also a Bosch PSB 18 li-2 which was about the same price, has a neat LED working light but also has a depth gauge attached - really handy and would save me using masking tape around the drill bit when drilling holes for raw plugs. I checked out the reviews and it got high ratings.

But I was torn. My parents had a Hitachi television which lasted 25 years and I've always rated them highly. But I also read that their stuff can be made in China and not Japan! I don't have a huge problem about where something is made, so long as the quality control is in place but then Bosch are pretty well known for making good tools.

Here's my problem, I bought the Bosch but I haven't broken the seal yet because I had a look at some more reviews and have found out that there's a fundamental error apparently with the chuck loosening when you stop drilling/screwing. Something to do with the stop brake being too harsh?

Has anyone got any experiences of Hitachi drills as I'm tempted to go back and exchange.

- - - Updated - - -

On further investigation it would seem that people are tightening up to and sometimes only including one click with the Bosch, which means it's not fully tightened and will come loose especially when hammer drilling. It would seem you have to tighten until it stops clicking. Phew!

The Hitachi has got some great Youtube demos, looks like a good product also.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure if its much help but regarding the Hitachi TV's, almost all of them are made by Vestel in Turkey (cheapest possible production). Regarding drills however, there has been quite a lot of building work where I live and I have noticed consistently that all the workers are using Makita or Hitachi drills as I used to check all the battery chargers were plugged in properly every night etc. Both brands are Japanese as far as I know, anyway my take on your situation is to go for the Hitachi. Not saying Bosch is bad, it's just that we've had all sorts of builders over to renovate a whole house with a large number of different jobs and most of them seem to use Japanese power equipment.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I think the problem with Makita is they use older style batteries and not Lithium Ion. I've already broken the seal now on the Bosch but I'm going to keep my eye out for Hitachi stuff as I think it's rated as trade-level gear whereas with Bosch I think it's the blue stuff which is trade and the green is DIY level. :Smile:

4. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think if your looking for a cordless drill for its hammer action.. Drilling walls etc ..You would really want to head towards the 24v plus and SDS .In my opinion I would just buy a corded SDS for drilling walls etc and 18v is ample as a screw gun.

5. mcgowanp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Depending on the amount of use and what your using it for you shouldn't have too many issues with some brands. Mikita and Bosch blue can be quite expensive if your just need to use it every do often. As a screw gun only I haven't had much issues with Ryobi..won't break the bank either and fine for general DIY.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a good shout, I bought one of those corded SDS drills for a tenner from Argos when I was a very poor secondary school student and I've used it extensively. From fitting outdoor hosepipes holders to drilling in wardrobe supports.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the exact model I bought years and years ago.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106062.htm

Obviously your budget will be higher haha

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bosch professional is the blue tools.
    I bought a Bosch professional electric screwdriver a few years ago and never looked back.
    Used it yesterday to put about 400 screws into decking.
    On the other hand I bought a Bosch green izy for work and wrecked it in no time.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The bosch went back today, I tightened that bad up as far as it would go but after five dry hammer action pulls on the trigger the bit just fell out. Really bad design and seems linked to being a one hand tighten tool. I had a look at a jcb one but apparently the Chuck can lose grip. Was looking at the ryobi one which I think are made in Hong Kong with their hq being in Japan, but again I read several reviews of the Chuck coming loose when using in reverse mode and also noticed it uses older style batteries and not lithium ion. I guess you'll find problems with anything though if you look hard enough.

So I went with my gut and got the Hitachi, feels good quality and already passed its first job!

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've had an Hitachi cordless for many years now, still going strong.

I've also got a 24v Mac Allister that's about 5 years old and has developed a tendency to slip it self into hammer mode.