General getting a HDS HIM unit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harvey, Monday 20th Oct, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys, just a quickie really

Is it worth investing in one of the above HDS HIM units, such as those found on ebay for Diagnostic work?
    When i used to have a Vauxhall, I used to use and still do have own and use a similar think to HDS, which was called OP-com (Opel works with vauxhall though) and gives almost complete dealer type access to every module fitted to the cars since 1992 - 2010 which was the last update for the China clone.

What does HDS do, or rather what can it do and is it worth getting, even for a 2000 model car, should there be some kind of electrical gremlin I need to erradicate?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    HDS gives you access to all the Honda sub systems, such as ABS, VSA, SRS etc.

TBH I've got one and I do a fair amount of work on Hondas but rarely do I need to connect up a HDS. On a 2000 model car I would think the need would be even less.

If I were you I wouldn't preemptively get one, I would consider getting one if you had particular need further down the line, which specifically needed HDS.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The reason I asked this, is mainly due to things like SRS, ABS faults which may crop up that I don't have software/hardware to diagnose etc. The only things I do have is the Torque app on my phone, which does do engine diagnostics and does work ( I purposfully set a code for the lambda by unplugging it) and it cleared that fault, but don't have one for anything else. I think of these things as a worthwhile investment tbh, even if not used all the time, they are there waiting should the need arise, or should I need to work on a Honda.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you wish to get one to have around then fair enough. The cloned HDS units do practically everything that the genuine one does.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What could go wrong though?

Tbh you could go about this like I did with my spoiler - set up a daily email alert on eBay with HDS as a keyword and if a cheap unit pops up then snap it up. At least then you've got one and down the line you can always sell it and recoup a large chunk of what you paid. To be honest that's how I buy quite a lot of stuff for my car. I managed to pick up a genuine Skunk2 gearknob for £21 (RRP £50)

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Chunkylover53 as these cars get older, there are lots of things that could potentially go wrong and that software may not be available in the future as the clone units may not be around if Honda stop the chinese from making them, but there are electrical gremlins that could crop up.
    in fact I blew up a multiplex because I put LED bulbs in the courtesy lights, it blew the fuse and the multiplex that controls them and some body functions.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Maybe I'm just being ignorant here but I have full trust in my car not going wrong on its own accord (pun not intended). I've kept aside £200 for nearly two years now to replace the lambda sensor which is apparently a part that fails on 6th gens but other than that I have full faith. Like I said earlier, if you pick up a cheap unit then alls good, and if you don't I'm sure the guys with HDS units will help you out.

9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Chunkylover53 I'm an amateur mechanic, if I've not got tools in my hand, to hand, in my shed, in my car or diagnostic equipment then I'm not happy. I've always done my own servicing as well, so its just something I've grown up with and having an expansive tool collection is something I aim for, even if its for cars I may never need it for. Its usefull stuff to have.
    Its not that I don't have faith in my car, Honda really do built a nice car, a reliable car, but things eventually get old or start to wear out and go wrong, mechanically and electronically. It would be the same for a PC as well, I bet there are not many people ouut there with a 14 year old pc that still works.

10. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Hello bud, just seen this thread, from your last response, it sort of sounds like you have kind of answered your own question as to whether it is worth it or not to buy one.

I have never used an aftermarket HDS unit and I enjoy tinkering as well. I think everyone here is just thinking more along the lines of just being aware that some of those units are sub quality, their software CAN be very unpredictable, updates for their software are virtually non existent and you have no come back should the software malfunction and damage your ECU or other electrics. If you feel you need it mate, and as you rightly say, cars will start giving trouble at some point, then I would be interested to see how well it works for you but I just wanted you to know that these cheap units are quite reknown for, at times, causing more problems than they solve.

I upgrade my PC every couple of years, due a new Haswell CPU this year if I can afford it before christmas and if I can sneak it past the boss of the house. :Grin:

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've owned HDS for over a year, only once have I actually needed it and that was reprogramming the immobiliser after an ECU replacement (something I still needed to get a code from a dealer for anyway). I do however feel comfortable knowing I have it, it was originally brought to help me sort out air bag system issues, something that never got sorted in the end (and Honda didn't manage either).

It's fun to tinker around with, it's useful to have in a "what if" scenario - but to be honest, until that moment comes, I wouldn't count it as necessary. Regardless, if I didn't own one now, I'd still buy another for "just in case" :Laughing:

I'm running Ivybridge atm (i7-3770k), to be honest even with the most intensive tasks I can't touch my potential power. DDR4 initial benchmarks don't make it look worth the upgrade either. It's a bad time to buy right now as all the 4k monitors (or 2x resolution/4x pixels at all sizes) are only just rolling out and software/hardware is still behind on that, Maxwell has started moving graphics in the right direction with some clever technologies - but in general they're still in the £500 price range for gaming at 60fps+ at those resolutions. Honestly, 18 months it'll be worth investing, unless you're already needing more.

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Tbh mate, she wouldn't let me at this time anyway and what with not knowing what is happening with work, I am not spending money unless I need to

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's understandable mate, I actually have a full Mini-ITX set-up awaiting for a CPU to be dropped in. Only because with all my running around lugging a huge Full ATX tower around is a pain in the bum.

Sorry for the off-topic :Smile:

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is nowt wrong with abit of off topic now and again, I wasnt aware that some of the HDS units where more trouble than they where worth.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Genuine HDS software along with genuine HIM hardware will set you back a couple of grand. What you see on ebay for about £100 is Chinese clones, the hardware is cloned and software is cracked.

For reading and resetting error codes, the clones are fine. I would never use a cloned HDS to to update the ECU though.
    Myself and @DeviateDefiant have successfully updated the Immobiliser keys using cloned HDS but every time I do it I have my heart in my mouth.
    One wrong bit or byte or wrongly calculated checksum could corrupt the cars ECU and may even brick it (make it defunct and unusable).

Ichiban and Nighthawk like this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys Sorry I haven't seen this thread till now, you can used the HIM on a 6th Generation provided you have the OBD2 to OB1 conversation cable. IIRC the HIM won't pick up the VIN number off the ECU automatically it will need to be entered manually.

Last time I saw these Chinese cloned kits they come with the conversation cable, has anyone tried it? I haven't as I have the PGM tester reader which I love proper old school.

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@SpeedyGee , I was never intending to do any ECU updates with a cloned HDS unit, just merely as a tool for error code resetting etc on body modules not covered by anything else. However like I said the cloned opcom I've used for vauxhall cars has proved itself many times over and cost alot less.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I think we are all saying be careful once you get the cloned tool you will want experiment with all it features and if you don't have a clue you will come across the wrong side. There is more than clicking icons and following on-screen instruction without the knowledge what will stop working, you have been warned.