Suspension, Steering and Brakes Getting ABS codes

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by smbell100, Sunday 6th Oct, 2013.

1. smbell100 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

My ABS light is on, so I shorted the service connector (as recommended on multiple sites) and turned the ignition on. The engine management light came on, and stayed on, as did the ABS light. There were no flashes from either of them. After disconnecting the connector the engine management light was out, but ABS still on.

Am I looking in the wrong place. If so, where is the right place.

The vehicle is a 2002 1.8 sport.

Many thanks

Steve

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi

I haven't tried to read ABS codes myself but seem to be reading conflicting info about shorting a 2pin or shorting a 5pin connector. What type of connector do you have in yours? I've not really looked as I say but think I only have a 2pin.

3. smbell100 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine is a 2 pin connector

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The manual refers to a 5pin connector, which oddly enough doesn't seem widely acknowledged on the web with ref to ABS

There are some Russian sites, or use google images to identify it 07TAZ-ST30100

5. smbell100 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I'll give that a try

6. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

my ABS light stays on i took the bulb out but wanna know wat makes it stay on is theer a way to resolve it as obd reader doint seem to find any faults
    figured id post here instead of making new thread

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Anti-lock Braking System does a number of tests as it powers up, if it finds a problem it will put the warning light on. There can be many reasons for the light to come on, the most common reason is a wheel sensor that is out (each wheel has a rotation sensor). If the ABS Light is on, it means that your anti-lock brakes will not activate when needed. Your car will simply resort to normal braking.

However, you need to be careful about removing bulbs. ABS lamp is now part of MOT. Therefore any issues with this system need to be resolved otherwise the insurance my mark your car un-roadworthy and refuse to pay out on a claim.

8. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

any way of know wich 1 b the faulty 1

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Might be worth having a look at drivers fuse box, fuse 5(10A) here ...

FuseDriver_zps5734ee2f.

10. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok well i checked the fuse and thats fine so im guessing its a wheel sensor although i can't see where the wheel sensor is so i can have a look see if any where and tear or something to help find wats wrong as my engine light aint on

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Here is the sensor and pulser/tone ring on a rear wheel, brakes removed obviously.

14cleanabs_tn1_zps5601b901.