Facelift Model Giving my 7 year old Tourer some TLC

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by davemazo, Tuesday 26th Feb, 2013.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My tourer will be 7 years old at the end of March and I`ve decided to do some jobs I`ve been putting off for a while and maybe a year too late.... but in my defence I`m a busy bee.

So I`ve ordered all the bits from Holdcroft apart from the oil, of which I have my 25 litres of 0w-30 from Exol. The gearbox will be getting a fresh dose of Honda MPF along with some new clutch fluid run through the pipes. I was going to have a go myself but looking at the DIY here it looks a bit complicated.

A new Honda fuel filter is going in (its been about 12 months since the last one). Again, looks too complicated for me so I`ll leave that to my trusty mechanic. I think I could get it out and the new one back in but I`m worried that if something goes wrong I can`t drive it anywhere so I`d be having to get someone in to fix it.

The oil change I can do so no problem there, it was last done about 6000 miles ago.

After seeing the thread this week about the auxiliary belt I had a look and I still have the longer one fitted, so thats getting done (by my friendly mechanic). That looks a bit of a pain to do especially as I don`t have the adjuster tension release thingy.

The air filter and pollen filter were done a couple of months ago so no worries there and there was fresh brake fluid put in about 2 years ago so I`m hoping that should be ok.

Finally some time later on I`ll be off to my local Hunter alignment place to get that done, what with the amount of potholes around here.

Then hopefully it will fly through the MOT without any problems just like it has done for the past 4 years.

Ichiban likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How did you get on with this Dave ?

Any pictures for us ? :Smile:

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only did the oil change and the gearbox oil change. I did have some problems doing the gearbox oil but I posted pictures and the story behind them in the DIY that describes how to do it. I always have trouble finding that thread but if I can find it I`ll either insert a link here or post the pictures here.

Here is a link to the How To with my contribution at the bottom http://hondakarma.com/guides/gearbox-transmission-fluid-replacement-mtf-diesel.25/

As for the other stuff I don`t feel confident enough to do that. If I could see the fuel filter being done once then I may then have the confidence to do it. I might just visit my mechanic and watch him do it.

While he`s got the car I`ve asked him to decoke the EGR valve for me. I have no idea what it will be like but I thought while everything else is being done he might as well have a look at it.

Don`t know if it has anything to do with it but I`m hoping that having been using V Power for at least the last 3 years it will be reasonably clean. He`s doing everything next Wednesday so I might just nip up there and see if I can get some pictures

Even just doing the engine and gearbox oils I can feel a noticeable difference. The car just seems to run a lot smoother and gear changes are a lot easier. Amazing what changing engine oil can do even after only 6000 miles. the gearbox oil has never been changed in its 7 year life and I can tell.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks for the update Dave.

I've been meaning to do a gearbox oil change on mine for ages now.

Can't do it at the moment as I don't have it :Sobbing:

5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finally got all the work finished today. Fuel filter, new shorter aux belt fitted, clutch fluid changed and EGR cleaned. Some pictures of the EGR below

egr1_zps6bda4a47.

egr2_zps11d559c6.

Apparently not too bad considering the car is seven years old and is 75% around town, the rest motorway. Maybe V Power and 6000 mile oil changes help

Last but not least, car passed the MOT for the fourth year running with no advisories, result.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That looks like a well kept car Dave :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The good thing is your soot is dry not oily. I see you have kept the oil levels in the engine bang on ..Well done sir.:GoodJob:

To all those people who find their EGR junked up with oily residue well don't over fill your engine oil.. This is how its done.

There is also no need for 2T oil in the fuel or a ERG delete if there is a thing called ERG delete. :lol:

8. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It doesn`t show too well in the first photo but there was some slight dampness to the residue in the manifold, but not too much.

I do probably over service the car but if it keeps it running sweet then its well worth it.

I`ve found it too easy sometimes to overfill with engine oil. The difference between minimum and maximum is deceiving, its so easy to put too much in. You almost have to add it by the spoonful to avoid overfilling, well I do anyway.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dave irrespective how you get the oil in if you got it right that what matters. Small tip if you have a open old oil pan, measure and mark the one litre two litre so on marking on the container. Use water to do the markings :Wink:

So measure what came out and pour the same back in then take reading before topping..you will never get it wrong.