Off-Topic Giving up smoking

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Monday 4th Jun, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tried many times before but always started again.
    People says if you want to stop you will stop but its not that easy for me(i tried my hardest).
    I am a sucker for Red Bull and cigarette in the morning(love it)
    Anybody gave up smoking or got good advice how to please fire away.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Willpower helped me over 12 years ago , I used to smoke 30-40 a day . I jacked the habit one morning it was was the cold turkey approach. I haven't smoked ever since.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I managed to drop to about 10 a day now.
    Tried cold turkey approach and just could not do it.When i see my friends drinking ICE cold Red Bull and having a smoke before work i can't resist it.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Known a few people who have quit using the NHS stop smoking advice/ support. Might give u a few ideas to help you throughout the bad times. You tried patches and gum etc? But ultimately it's a lot of will power.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I know the feeling bud,but I stopped going out or seeing my smoking friends just for this reason. it was anti social some mates were not happy but you have to break that cycle which feeds the habit. Easier said then done thou.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Doc,never tried gum,patches etc.I heard they don't work and are waste of time.will give NHS advice thing a go,see what they say.
    I will just have to man up one day and decide enough is enough.

7. Riptide Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Patches and a nicorette inhaler worked for me. Was on the patches for 3 days then found I didn't need them. Stuck to the inhaler until I didn't need that. Stopped the inhaler and thought I had beaten it. Went three months without anything then thought "I'll just have one", big mistake.

8. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would recommend this, but you will get intense cravings but you have to persists.

Chewing gums
    Drink loads of water just drown yourself with water
    No caffeine related drinks
    Eat a lot of vegetables and fruits a lot of it.
    An hour before sleeping no television or internet.
    no cheeky fags after meals
    Stop hanging around your smoking friends at work.

Last edited: Wednesday 6th Jun, 2012
  9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for suggestion lads.will have to decide one day and just throw cigarettes away.
    Difficult to avoid my mates because we travel in same van every day.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    tell em to stop smoking in the Van,there is a law preventing you guys to smoke in company vehicles. :Wink: Who said jacking smoking is hard..

11. buchanan Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am 59. I have smoked more than 20 a day since the age of 15. I have tried patches 2 or 3 times and managed once to stop for 6 months. I have had pneumonia about three times and the last time (16 weeks and 3 days ago) I stopped because I was ill and have not smoked since (no patches etc). It has not been easy and some side effects are becoming obvious (put on 1 stone, keep eating snacks/sweets and drinking tea/coffee all the time, feel bloated due to over eating and cra**ing twice every morning instead of once. I don't want a fag but I still have cravings which seem slowly to be getting less. Willpower is definately the way as patches etc just keep putting nicotine into your body IMHO. Good luck to anyone trying to pack it in (but the monetary savings, if you can do it are amazing). The health benefits are obvious of course!

Last edited: Thursday 7th Jun, 2012
  12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry Zoran at 55 years old and never smoked to this day I can`t really help you. Although a friend of mine recently gave up after a lot of years. he was finding it hard but turned to one of those electric cigarette things they give you the effect of smoking but wean you off the real things. Next time I see him I`ll ask him what they are callled and where he got them. He`s never looked back. Oh and if you want a reality check on this I lost both my father and father in law to the big C heavy smokers both.
    Or you could buy a petrol accord that would help you stop smoking:Happy:

13. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Zoran, you will do it when the time is right I am sure!

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Get your self down to your GP and book an appointment with the smoking cessation nurse or HCA talk to them about the various types of things on offer.

There is a lot out there these days to help.. I have known loads of our patient who have quit using Champix which is a tab, as I understand it and don't quote me as I am not clinical, it works by blocking receptors in the brain - but it does work if used correctively. That said it is not for everyone, if the patient has any history of mental heath i.e depression anxiety it is def not recommended. In fact if anyone fits that bill you should not try these tabs.

I have a good friend who is a mental health nurse practitioner who quit his habbit of over 40 years on these. He smoked at least 30 a day and had the will power of a small nat !! However it worked for him and a year on he has not touched one..

This is not a recommendation but just giving some info to go armed with.. Bite the bullet and go see them.. Poss stay away form the guys with the redbull to for a while to :Smile:

Good luck

Ichiban and AccordCU2 like this.
  15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for that,very useful info.I am on good track to throw them away soon but will give this a try if everything else fails.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I'm very happy to say that I have never smoked. But, that lesson not to smoke was learned from my grandmother who smoked from an early age and died early as a result of cancer and heart disease. She tried repeatedly to quit smoking.

The only suggestions I can give (not being a smoker) is to treat it the same way you would food addiction. Join an offline or online counseling group where you can talk about your cravings. Talk to your doctor about treatment programs. He might be able to prescribe a treatment that will ease cravings. Get a phone buddy you can call when the craving arises. Swap out other healthy habits when you get the urge to smoke, such as going for a walk.

Also, here are some helpful tips to quit smoking.

Smokefree.gov: Quit Guide

Best of luck, hope you are able to quit for your health's sake.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  18. Felicity Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    Many years back, I briefly experimented with cigarette smoking but was able to quit very easily. Thankfully so, as they've found a link to numerous health conditions including cancer and cardiovascular disease.

19. Diddyuk86 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have never been a smoker myself but my mum, dad and brother all where until last September. My dad fell ill with a problem with his leg and after being checked out at the doctors was told for him to have an operation he needed he would need to give up smoking so my mum and brother decided to do it with him to help him. They went to a support group that is run at the doctors and stopped right away using what they call champix from the support group the attended. My dad had been a smoker for around 40 years and my mum for just a little less and my brother around 5 years a smoker and they all found it a little hard at first but kept at it and now they are non smokers :Smile:

20. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Support groups are good.. They can be accessed via NHS stop smoking or via your GP surgery. CHAMPIX is ok and works for alot of people but if you have ever had any kind of Mental Health problem make very sure you talk to a Dr first..

This drug has been linked to numerous suicides! All in people with medical history of mental health problems, this includes Depression and Anxiety You MUST talk to a Dr before even considering taking this, do not go on the word of your practice Nurse however good they are. As I said this drug does work but consider the side effects carefully before accepting this - there are lots of alternative out there.

Ichiban likes this.