Detailing Glass polish

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Phil1978, Tuesday 19th Aug, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Can anyone recommend a glass scratch remover/polish, I've had a scratch on the screen since I've had the car from where the previous owner had knackered blades, as it's not in my view I've not bother about it, but it's annoying me now.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    AutoGlym Fast Glass has been mentioned previously here before and there is also AutoGlym Glass Polish.

I've not used either myself but I think AutoGlym Glass Polish would give you a bit more cutting.

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Cheers Speedy, I'll give the polish a go and report back

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ What was the verdict? I like the AutoGlym glass polish (apart from all the dust!) but wouldn't have thought it had enough "cut" to remove anything but the lightest scratches. Was it any good?

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Unfortunately I'm in the middle of my work shift at the moment so it'll probably be next week before I can report back.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ah, no problem...:Smile:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Incidentally, I had the same issue on my '03 with the wiper blade flinging off on the motorway (don't ask me how or why) and scratching the glass. I use Fast Glass all the time, but that, dedicated glass sealant and everything else I tried wouldn't get rid of it. To be honest, I couldn't see it during the day but at night it was annoying as hell.

If your windshield excess is £75 and it's doesn't affect your no claims... :Whistle:

Last edited: Sunday 31st Aug, 2014
  8. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    I think I have started to notice scratches on my windscreen as well... @Phil1978 do you have a verdict yet?

And @DeviateDefiant I hear ya :Laughing:

9. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Sorry fellas I'm just rubbish, still haven't done it yet, it's been a bit hectic here, I have purchased some polish, I'll attempt it this weekend.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I bought that compound paste online, can't remember the name off the top of my head, and used my buffer pad attachment on the cordless on my Accord. Took a good fifteen minutes before i saw very small results so ii can't imagine how long it would take by hand!

11. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Right, just tried Autoglym glass polish and.......

Nothing, if anything it may be slightly worse, I think DD's plan sounds good.

12. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Time to check windscreen excess then... :Ohdear:

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Did you do it by hand?

14. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Yeah, don't own any polishing kit, may work using proper equipment.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Definitely, need to use a drill on low speed and water on the windscreen to keep the temp down. Can't imagine it would be possible by hand! Lol