Engine & Gearbox glow plug p1384 and p0380 fault codes only when cold

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Opto-nihilist, Thursday 31st Jan, 2013.

1. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I have just got a honda accord 2.2 I-CDTI about two months ago and have had nothing but trouble ever since making my old BMW 523i look good. The problem I have now is that the fault code p1384 came up so I tested the glow plugs and found a dodgy one. Replaced with OEM blueprint plug. The code then cleared but then came back with p0380 heater circuit A and the original p1384. On starting from cold these codes come up with engine management light and they will not clear. After about 10 minutes driving with the engine just getting warm they will then clear with my cheap diagnostic machine. I have checked all of the plugs and all heat up (blueprint one takes a few seconds longer to get as hot looking as the others) I have checked power to all of the plugs 12.7v. All cables seem fine. I have taken out what I can and sprayed contact spray and cleaned them. I have just spent 3 hours replacing the upper control arm tonight as that was broke and I still have a mechanical grating on the front drivers side when turning at speed to sort oh and a balky 3rd gear change. I am really, really fed up with it. Can anybody help as I am really pulling my hair out now.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So you swapped one German powered car for another German powered car :Smile:

Sorry to hear of your troubles, sometimes you get a fault and it proves tough to get to the bottom of, hang on in there bud.

12.7v you say ? Was that with the car started ? If so shouldn't that be 14.4v ?

You should check the glow plug relay, the contacts may have become pitted and therefore not allowing enough current/voltage through to the glow plugs. Also check the wiring harness to the glow plugs.

SayamaAccord and AccordCU2 like this.
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ile seccond speedy's reccomendation, check the glow plug relay to the right of the air box if it has a yellow DOT on it its been replaced before. if not ide get it replaced, and pay attention to the small plugs on the top of the glow plugs they can cause bad contacts. what mileage has your car done. hondas have wear and tear like any other car buddy. some are more well looked after than others and ime affraid it sounds like yours is in need of some TLC at the moment. keep your chin up and get on top of the problems, you will end up with a good car. but at the end of the day parts wear out and you have to be a bit proactive.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  4. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    thanks for the swift replies. The voltage is when the car is not running and the relay does have a yellow DOT on the side. I'll pull out the relay and clean it as well as the small plugs see if that works. Is there anyway I can take off the relay and check it with a multitester?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You can do as the above video shows you, but pitted contacts may still pass the above test.

Do that test and then take the cover off the relay and inspect the contacts for pitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  6. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that. You tube has been so useful for me recently. I don't know if I dare do the test with a £180 to replace relay. I cleaned the relay points and found that when disconnected it throws out a different fault code than what I am experiencing. What I have found out is that when you disconnect the fuel rail pressure sensor bosch code 0281002405 it doesn't trigger any different codes just leaves on the p0380 is this a sign? The part from andrew page is around £95inc. Any ideas?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

My understanding is that both codes are related to the Glow plug heater circuit. So your problem lies with glow plugs or glow plug circuit.
    Best to have it checked by someone who knows how to diagnose the issue properly.

8. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all of your replies. I've ordered a genuine honda glow plug costing £38 and I let you know how I get on. The blueprint glowplug is taking that long to reach temp I've been told that this is throwing the fault code out as the relay is switching power off before it reaches temp. Does anyone know what make the original honda plugs are?

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Hi,

... the OEM glow plug is a Bosch Duraterm 0 250 503 003 - heating phase -> see attachment :Bye:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Friday 1st Feb, 2013
  10. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    this is fantastic info. The adl blueprint plugs curve would be worse than the standard plug shown in the diagram. I have taken the glowplug back to the shop and they won't give me a refund because it's been fitted and they are going to send it off to be checked first. My argument is that even though the plug works and glows hot eventually when tested. When it is on the car it doesn't get chance to reach optimum temp before it is switched off by the relay, hence not suitable for the accord it is made for. Does that sound fair???

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    sounds fair but i doubt you will get anywhere with it. its been used as far as there concerned. good luck bud

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sale of goods act states it has to be fit for purpose. If it's not heating up quickly enough then you can argue it isn't.

13. Opto-nihilist Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone, I'm finally smiling as the problem is sorted. It was the adl-blueprint glow plug. Although it worked it was taking too long to reach temp. So I would definately reccommend original plugs or cp-53 hkt, ashika, japanparts??? plugs which were already in and work perfectly!!!!!
    Thanks for your help

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good to hear you got the issue sorted out. Just goes to show why sticking to OEM parts is important.

Thanks for reporting back.