Engine & Gearbox glow plugs/ fault codes

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Thursday 21st Jan, 2016.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Hi,

light just came on dash ,, obd reader showing p1384 and p0380 which did say something about the glow plugs.
    what sort of a life expectancy should glow plugs have??

any and all help appreciated

chris

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Mine are still original at 165k miles / 11 years. Problem is just as likely to be the relay, so needs to be investigated... This is easy if you use a voltmeter to check that voltage is being made available at the glowplug connection during the pre- start period when cold, which then proves that the relay is OK. You can use a lamp to do this if you don't have a voltmeter.

3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

will have a check @Zebster ,, thanks for the advice..

mine only just passed the 30,000 mark and i wasn't sure if it was normal at that mileage

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is it starting OK?

Assuming you deleted those stored codes, did they come back? They could have been stored from some time ago, maybe when a connector was removed.

5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

car seems perfectly fine..
    deleted the codes before I came home and they didn't come back on.. going to give it a few days, see if they show back up... unless ignoring it will cause any issues ???

a very slight hesitation to start occasionally, , but I just put that down to the cold

Last edited: Thursday 21st Jan, 2016
  6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Is the car newish to you? Diesel isn't very flammable so needs to be pre heated then subject to high compression to burn. Most modern cars don't now go through the polather of waiting for the curly light to go out especially when engine is warm. Perhaps your not used to waiting a few secs in this recent cold snap. I used to wait for the light to go out, turn off and repeat, then always on a manual put the clutch down to save turning over the gearbox full of thick oil, cross my fingers and pray. Yes another old banger of mine lol. Failing all of the above, get out the - start you bas#ard spray.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it doesn't come back on again don't worry about it mine did similar but I got the glow plug light flashing and limp mode then after a few re starts it was fine the fault codes I had where for the glow plug relay touch wood it's been fine this happened about 2 years ago.

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Ignoring it won't cause any issues. It now sounds like a historic problem of some sort that left stored diagnostic trouble codes on the ECU... If it had been a 'fresh' problem then the engine warning light would have come on.

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

stated up today no problem and engine light did not come back on,,, so fingers crossed it was just a one off. .
    @stuscrv always j wait for the light to go off before starting it.

Bones126 likes this.
  10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I'm glad all seems ok

11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just wantedto give an update..
    Almost 2 weeks after I deleted the code and it has not came back on
    . Noticed nothing wrong with car . Even starting from cold has been Fine.

Hopefully it was just a one off
    .. fingers crossed

:Smile:

Zebster and Ichiban like this.