General Going for a Drive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Monday 18th Aug, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I very often just go for a drive for no reason than I like to drive.

Can anyone better my drive I did a few years ago - Newcastle to Poole (Swanage sea front) and back in a day. I only got out the car for food and fuel. :Nuts:

Didn't like the look of Swanage so didn't stop!

Bones126 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I used to "Go for a drive" when I was younger but no way we're they as long your drives Lol

I don't tend to go for drives now.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep
    Went with couple of friends for a drive from Brum to Newcastle Upon Tyne (my favourite place).
    Visited Whitley Bay where I used to live, had a lunch in TGI Friday's near Eldon square and drove back to Brum.
    Not as long as yours but I do enjoy driving for no reason.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  4. Dr Chaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did it more when I owned a motorcycle

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't be doing with car drives , just hop on the motorcycles way more enjoyable and relaxing.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I do this, in my MINI when the sun is shining.

Nowhere near as far as DdP - probably only 20-30 miles max. But on a nice day, driving through the beautiful Chilterns...wonderful :Bye:

7. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Jeez that's a he'll of a drive, Poole is only 45 minutes from me and it does my nut in driving there.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I go for drives every now and again on certain types of roads, basically inner roads with some decent straights and twist bits like roundabouts and is a a quiet road, could never go on long drives just for the sake of it, too boring driving down a motorway, has to be something fun and involving like a twist b road, but unfortunately you need to get out of London and quite far out for some decent roads.

9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    This is from a drive last January, Buttertub Pass in Yorkshire.
    482505_10151505619875746_216918593_n.
    and turning round the view looked like this..

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I do it too mate, but I always find an excuse to sell myself on. Like "I should go ask so and so about something, he's only 50 miles away".

11. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I passed over Buttertubs pass the end of June. On way home from the Highlands and just before stocking up at the Wensleydale Creamery. Was in the Morgan though. Occasionally take that out just for a drive around the country lanes as I no longer have any m/c...

12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    In my youth (20 odd years ago) when I had a 2.8 Capri I used to drive from Brum to Barmouth, up to Porthmadog, through Snowdonia and back through Llangollen to Brum on a Saturday afternoon before going to the pub. I only ever stopped if I needed a pee lol. But you could afford to back then.

Can't beat a good drive out with some tunes on and no-one to bother you.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have to agree with Ichiban; car driving is more of a pain in the butt these days. I just hate sitting in traffic and being towed around by idiot drivers who feel they want to dictate the speed of the traffic to a crawl. Even more infuriating is the people behind them who have no idea on how to overtake! :Rant:

Bones126 and Ichiban like this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I did 280 miles last weekend I can't list the times car drivers are totally oblivious to bikers. I am sickened to say the amount of abuse and anti motorcycle sentiment over the recent motorcyclist death published by the decrease mum has sickened me. Yes the biker was fast a few mistakes he made but the car was responsible for his death. All the non bikers have their two pence when they don't ride and see the other side of the coin...bloody panzies in metal shells.

15. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I saw the vid, and have got to say, the fella shouldn't have been doing that speed in that situation. Granted the car did end up causing his death but the rider greatly contributed to it himself. I'm all for letting rip with the throttle, but it has to be in situations where it's relatively save to do so.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No doubt the speed was the contributor to the accident , but car drivers and non bikers cannot judge speed of oncoming vehicles that quickly. The inherent problem with car drivers is their vision is 2 feet from the front of car. Bikers see way ahead but this biker didn't spot the hazard and ride defensively. The hazard perception should be enhanced to get people gauge speed and reaction times. CBT for all car drivers with 2 years before you sit into a car.

17. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I fully agree with you. It's got to the stage now with me that I'm expecting something stupid to happen whenever I'm in close proximity to a car. I've had a few very near misses this year with drivers just not seeing a motorcycle. I came very close to having a major off on a NSL road earlier this year when a car pulled straight out in front of me at a crossroads. A combination of maybe of a "sixth sense" and some bloody good brakes saved my life.
    And the same old story from the driver; "sorry mate, I didn't see you".
    A mate of mine on a 6 month old Ducati was side swiped by a car a couple of months ago, simply because the driver didn't bother looking in his mirrors before deciding to overtake the car in front of him. He got off pretty lightly with just a broken arm and write off for the bike.
    It would be an eye opener for a lot of drivers if they were put on a bike and made to ride on our roads. A compulsory CBT (as you say) would be a great idea.
    Don't get me wrong, there are also some real idiot bike riders out there that could with some re-training. Unfortunately they give the rest of us bad press.

18. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    It's not just bikes they don't see, it's other cars too.
    My Morgan is Ferrari Giallo Fly Yellow - OK it's not Dayglo or Orange nor does it have reflective stripes, but there are people who don't see it coming. There are those that can't see a Land Rover!

No wonder I gave up m/c nearly 5 years ago...:Whiteflag:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I'm sure everyone here would would see this coming... 001.

steve4536 likes this.
  19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Interesting reading the last few posts, I gave up riding bikes on the road back in 2005 because it became in my opinion too distractive to ride and enjoy it without having to constantly look out for what others where doing around me, which in turn distracted my attention from riding. I have been spat at out of car windows, forced over while overtaking and while been overtaken. Been brake tested the lot.
    Yes I rode faster than I probably should and yes I was cautious of where I was when I did. Because of the lack of enjoyment in road riding I turned to the race track, had success and became an instructor. Best move I made I think.

I think what the family of the guy in the video have done is brave and deserved the respect for which it is intended, that is to bring both car and bike riders attentiontion and awareness to the perils of the road, especially at junctions. Who was to blame is not the point, it's to show you how easy it can happen and what is real life out there on the roads. We all need to think, and as itchy says everyone needs to look further ahead rather that just under their noses, stereos and phones.

There, breathe lol

steve4536 likes this.
  20. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Hear, hear!! :Thumbup:

Bones126 likes this.